Odd misfire problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So at one time I got a tank of really bad gas and that is when the problem first started. Truck ran like crap and then once I went through that tank of fuel it seemed to clear up. Then a month later I got a P0306 code. I switched the coil from cyl 6 to 5 to see if the misfire moved. I cleared the light and the truck ran fine for a day then the code came back- stayed in cyl 6. When the truck is running and the code is on I can smell fuel coming out of the exhaust so I figured it was a spark issue not burning the fuel in that cylinder. I changed the spark plug and the tip was black so I figured that was my issue. Truck ran Ok for a day now the misfire is back, staying in cylinder #6. I just don't want to throw parts at it without knowing what the issue is.
Could a faulty injector cause the rich smell when it is misfiring?
I figured I was getting the heavy gas smell because that cylinder wasn't firing due to a faulty plug or coil but switched coils and the code stayed and put a new plug and the code stayed

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A leaking injector can cause the cylinder to run rich. Check the injector with a stethoscope or something similar. You may be able to hear a difference in the sound compared to the other injectors.
How did the spark plug look color wise besides a black tip?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev