OEM glass or "dealer glass"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenSanAZ

Reaction score
Just got my '18 Limited windows ceramic tinted. We talked about doing the windshield full tint, the installer said I should wait until I have it replaced (it's got a small chip and lots of rock pitting), since insurance will pay for windshield replacement but not for tint replacement ($200 for ceramic tint on windshield). He said that if/ when I replace it that he can do it AND tint the glass before installing for 1/2 price on tint. Now, here's the question... he said he only uses "dealer glass", I said "OEM". He explained that OEM is a widely misused word these days, doesn't mean what it used to, it doesn't necessarily mean that OEM glass is "Ford" glass but "dealer glass" means that it is real Ford glass. Has anyone heard that before? I've had windshields replaced on previous cars and have always insisted on OEM glass.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My brother works for an automotive glass supplier to Ford and the best glass with the least imperfections goes to the new assembly plants. The spare parts glass that is sent to dealers for replacements still has the Ford silkscreen markings, etc but has a higher level of imperfections than the glass sent to the assembly plants. They use automated vision technology at the glass plant to identify glass destined for each application. Reality is that "OEM" replacement glass will say Ford on it, but still won't be the same caliber glass as when the vehicle was new.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just make sure it says "SoundScreen" stamped on the glass. That is the OE glass.

Just make sure it DOESN'T say soundscreen

It's test-drive-nice, user-unfriendly glass that runs a bit quieter but collects sandblasts and chips easily

Not as bad as original BMW glass, but a more traditional aftermarket windshield won't have you replacing it again or settling for disappointment anytime soon

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never thought about the quality of glass.

Every few years I get new windshields b/c of rock chips from the road.

Florida insurance companies don't charge you for the new windshield. I think it is 3 replacement windshields a year.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good conversation, but in reading the OPs original post, I kind of get the feeling the tint installer either A) doesn't want to deal with installing film on OPs existing windshield, or B) is trying to get OP to insurance claim a windshield that HE wants installation $$$ from the insurance company.

Yeah, its a free windshield from State Farm or whatever, but somebody is paying for it, and somebody is getting paid to install it. Personally I'd prefer a glass installer dude, somebody like Safelite or a local guy who does -nothing- but install glass and has forever. Your tint guy could be a well-rounded jack of all trades, what do I know, but me -- I let my accountant do my taxes and my dentist my teeth.

You paid a lot of money for your new truck OP, get the kind of glass YOU want, and when YOU want it, not on somebody elses terms, especially just to save $100.

OP
OP
D

DenSanAZ

Reaction score
Good conversation, but in reading the OPs original post, I kind of get the feeling the tint installer either A) doesn't want to deal with installing film on OPs existing windshield, or B) is trying to get OP to insurance claim a windshield that HE wants installation $$$ from the insurance company.

Yeah, its a free windshield from State Farm or whatever, but somebody is paying for it, and somebody is getting paid to install it. Personally I'd prefer a glass installer dude, somebody like Safelite or a local guy who does -nothing- but install glass and has forever. Your tint guy could be a well-rounded jack of all trades, what do I know, but me -- I let my accountant do my taxes and my dentist my teeth.

You paid a lot of money for your new truck OP, get the kind of glass YOU want, and when YOU want it, not on somebody elses terms, especially just to save $100.
Well sure he wants to replace the windshield for the insurance money, since he offered me full tint at 1/2 price (and it certainly would be easier to tint before installing) but he also didn't want $200 right now to tint a windshield that's damaged (not to the point of replacing yet). He did install a tint strip on the windshield for $50, as I'm not planning on windshield replacement soon... so he basically lost money short term by not wanting to do the full tint. I see where you're coming from tho

OP
OP
D

DenSanAZ

Reaction score
Never thought about the quality of glass.

Every few years I get new windshields b/c of rock chips from the road.

Florida insurance companies don't charge you for the new windshield. I think it is 3 replacement windshields a year.
I've had windshields replaced on almost all my vehicles over the years, at least once if not twice. Arizona isn't kind to windshields or car batteries, they never last their full lifespan either.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always ask for and get OEM glass (dealer glass?) yes the glass for my 2001 just came through a Ford dealer nothing wrong with it. I'm sure if it was a second class part it would be listed as such. Safelite provides and installs the glass with zero deductible on the insurance.

Jeka

Reaction score
My brother works for an automotive glass supplier to Ford and the best glass with the least imperfections goes to the new assembly plants. The spare parts glass that is sent to dealers for replacements still has the Ford silkscreen markings, etc but has a higher level of imperfections than the glass sent to the assembly plants. They use automated vision technology at the glass plant to identify glass destined for each application. Reality is that "OEM" replacement glass will say Ford on it, but still won't be the same caliber glass as when the vehicle was new.
I replaced my windshield couple weeks ago, specifically asked “OEM”... Installer - local autoglass shop which does only auto glass, confirmed they ordered a Ford windshield... My new windshield is pretty crappy, looks like Chinese counterfeit - it does say “Ford” but the font is not sharp, has much more rough outside edges, and looks like reflects absolutely everything.