Oil and Filter time...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've always done 7,500 mile changes with a synthetic blend or full synthetic. Never had an engine fail, and they were all driven past 200k miles.
And trust me - with petroleum oil you'll also be fine at 7,500 mile intervals. The quality of the additive packages these day are phenomenal. SG was quite the improvement over the SC, SD and SE of the 60s and 70s. SN oils of 2010 blew the old stuff away. The manufacturers typically require 7500 mile intervals - why? Because they know they are way safe with that.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess some people are too busy changing oil (must have hit 2500-3000 miles) to keep posting on this thread. Shucks!
I just love it when I'm right and people try try try to justify their belief of only one way or best way.

Thomas Hardesty

Reaction score
I agree, but this vehicle is used in livery, so I don’t mind spending$50.00 to know in my mind that there is zero friction. I too have owned many, many vehicles that I changed oil/filter religiously, and have NEVER had an engine fail! This 3.5 ecoboost is a true learning experience for me! I’m a naturally aspirated V8 man myself! Not a fan of pushing/boosting motor to gain HP! Rather the V8 not working nearly as hard! I mean come on man! FORD? You have the best engineers?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree, but this vehicle is used in livery, so I don’t mind spending$50.00 to know in my mind that there is zero friction. I too have owned many, many vehicles that I changed oil/filter religiously, and have NEVER had an engine fail! This 3.5 ecoboost is a true learning experience for me! I’m a naturally aspirated V8 man myself! Not a fan of pushing/boosting motor to gain HP! Rather the V8 not working nearly as hard! I mean come on man! FORD? You have the best engineers?
Ford is far from having the best engineers and I am also upset that they took the high displacement V8 out and decided to go with twin turbos. Twin turbos are even worse than a single turbo. I do however love forced induction engines just not for daily driver.
A turbo or super charger just gives you so much almost free horsepower. The problem is when they try to make a little dinky 4-cylinder and then crank the levels all the way up to be on V8 power. How about they just take an average size V8 or a smaller V8 and put a supercharger or turbo on it??
People like big torque monster V8 in trucks.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Most people buying Expeditions probably don't consider them "trucks". They are used in mini-van service, so forcing the line to help with CAFE standards isn't costing Ford sales.

It's a problem for the few of us who greatly prefer a V-8. A deal-breaker for some, but most buyers are more concerned about the wi-fi.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most people buying Expeditions probably don't consider them "trucks". They are used in mini-van service, so forcing the line to help with CAFE standards isn't costing Ford sales.

It's a problem for the few of us who greatly prefer a V-8. A deal-breaker for some, but most buyers are more concerned about the wi-fi.
True and sad. I think the manufacturers have a very poor grasp of what customers really do want though. And remember there are three or four different types of customers at the minimum. He would have to see how the percentages breakdown but do they just want to cater to the largest group of buyers or do they want to cater to the largest three or four groups of buyers to get as many sales as possible?
This is where I think they do a very poor job. There are people out there that want trucks and even SUVs with big V8 and lots of torque and either towing capacity so that's one type of customer. It's a smaller group though.
The vast majority don't care what kind of engine is in it as long as it runs and operates like they expect.
I also think extreme push for horsepower and the horsepower Wars they pretty much have had over the past 15 + years are ridiculous! Hummer talking about the grocery getter, minivan style SUV.... the average person never even presses the pedal past halfway down.
They don't tow anything with it, they don't care what the 0 to 60 time is, and they don't care if it has 385 horsepower or 225 horsepower.
We used to have options of 6 cylinders or 8 cylinders or sometimes even 4,6,8.
We had options for a basic vehicle or even a strip down at a lower price without all the features, amenities, and fanciness and then you could get different levels or all the way to the fully loaded one.
Now, pretty much everything made is very decked out with more horsepower than the average person will ever need and it cost a lot more money.
I know people still driving 4-cylinder stick shift S10 pickup trucks.
There is certainly a large market for these type of vehicles to but they just don't seem to be offered.

The technology aspect of cars was an upward evolution but now they really can go back the other way. Cars don't really need Wi-Fi or Internet connection in them anymore because everyone's found is now Unlimited data and has good fast speeds. Once 5G blankets the country that is even going to be better for people with their phones. All the car needs is simple connectivity to your phone. So basically a $20 radio from Walmart that connects to your phone will give most people anything they will ever need. I actually have one of them and it works awesome. I play my entire playlist or anything I want through my phone and then I also take my calls through it and it works perfectly hands-free.
The only thing above that you need to consider is having a screen in the dash and screens and the headrest for the roof for passengers so you can Bluetooth video to them. Very basic stuff today and every human inside the vehicle is going to have a phone that does everything so all you need is basic connectivity to the audio or the screens.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65