Oil and Filter time...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
07Navi has been a pain-in-the-ass ***** since showing up here six months ago and ruining this forum. Report me, ban me, I don't really care.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
07Navi has been a pain-in-the-ass ***** since showing up here six months ago and ruining this forum. Report me, ban me, I don't really care.
Now that I have ruined the whole forum with my occasional expert advice to help everyone in here maybe you should look into an anger management class.

Last edited:

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Put him on ignore. If enough people do it he'll eventually be screaming into the void and will hopefully just leave.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Put him on ignore. If enough people do it he'll eventually be screaming into the void and will hopefully just leave.
Yea, that guy is always trying to help people with his vast former experience, maybe he will go away.:smiley-face-popcorn

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
There seem to be a few "missing" posts here. I appreciate the posting of the oil analysis.

As for the "or every 12 months" criteria I pulled a sample from my S2000 roadster and the oil still looks like new. No oil change this year for this car. But I only drive it 2000 miles last year. :)

We're up to 44 posts in this thread so I can safely note (probably again) we don't change the oil in our (the Army's) tanks until the oil analysis requires it.

UP!

On the way!

1000w_q95.jpg

-- Chuck

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Army tank is a little different than my $60k truck. I'll sleep well at night with 3k oil changes.

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The unfortunate real consequence to changing oil more frequently than required is 'maintenance induced failures'. In the industry I retired from the estimates were that 30% of all failures were due to faulty or poorly performed maintenance by the technicians - hence the phrase maintenance induced.

I got a hand-me-down older Lincoln in great shape (or so I thought) from my parents. They were very good with maintenance (of course performed by others). They relented to and obliged the ridiculous oil change intervals that were 'required' by their local Firestone (also 3000 miles). Not long after the car was passed on to us, my wife called me - she was on the side of the road. The oil light came on, and as instructed, she immediately pulled off the road and shut down the motor (idiot light - no gauge). It turns out the threads had been stripped by the Firestone gorillas and one of those crappy oversized plugs had been installed (which later fell out). I was unable to find anything that would work. I had to drop the pan to replace it - what a pain. 18 months later the engine developed a rod knock; I replaced the shortblock. I am 100% certain that rod knock originated with the oil loss, likely enough delay when the oil drained to when she saw the light and pulled over.

So... beware - all is good changing more than needed until the minimum wage gorillas screw up your drain plug and don't tell you. This one cost us the motor.

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found an interesting YouTube blog that goes into Mobil1 20,000 mile oil and how they test the product to meet that claim. I was quite impressed with the rigor and science by which they test the products to validate the ratings:

href="https://youtu.be/l-zDt9FGJi8">https://youtu.be/l-zDt9FGJi8

On a related note, for those of you who subscribe to extended intervals - you may have noted the different ratings for synthetic oils now, all based on miles driven. Apparently the basis for this is one of the additives (can't remember which one) that the greatest impact on extended life. The EPA has determined that there are health detriments to the product getting into the atmosphere after combustion or something like that. For OEM oils now, the manufacturers purportedly must limit the amount of that additive (and I suspect also on base oil products from the oil manufacturers). For whatever reason we can still buy the oils that last long mileage - don't know if they use alternate additives now or simply have a reduced percentage of the product they manufacture and sell with the higher concentrations.

In any case, the video is worth viewing IMHO.