Oil filter change after adding FX4 skid plate.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guys suggested cutting a hole in the new skid plate, but that totally defeats the purpose of adding it! lol

I use my small Milwaukee impact wrench and zip off the 4 bolts and remove the skid plate each time I change oil. Takes a minute tops. Not a big deal.

The bigger issue is draining oil with the Raptor transmission skid plate in place. I added a fumoto drain valve with a short hose and it makes it easy to drain without messing with the transmission skid plate.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And then you HOPE they actually changed your filter. My neighbor used to work at a dealer and he told me they never changed the filters on the hard to access ones if they were short on time. He would throw the new filter in the garbage so the computer inventory didn't bust him. I'm sure this happens more often than guys want to believe!

I label all my filters with a date, hours or mileage changed for this reason. If it’s hard to get to I will try and put a star or mark on it that I can see. I do the same with my tires. My last 2 EcoBoosts I have had the $79.00 now $99.00, 3 change special. I find it real hard to believe for that price they take it seriously. So far so good with my current dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do my own just for the sake of time. The expedition is so easy to do it takes me longer to drive to the dealer than change my oil. Last saturday I changed the oil in the expedition and my jeep, changed air filters and filled the washer tanks in less time than it took finish my Mango Lime Kickstart. I did forget the expy oil filter funnel director thing drops oil out in two places though...

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do my own just for the sake of time. The expedition is so easy to do it takes me longer to drive to the dealer than change my oil. Last saturday I changed the oil in the expedition and my jeep, changed air filters and filled the washer tanks in less time than it took finish my Mango Lime Kickstart. I did forget the expy oil filter funnel director thing drops oil out in two places though...
Do you have the FX4 skid plate on?

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use my small Milwaukee impact wrench and zip off the 4 bolts and remove the skid plate each time I change oil. Takes a minute tops. Not a big deal.

The bigger issue is draining oil with the Raptor transmission skid plate in place. I added a fumoto drain valve with a short hose and it makes it easy to drain without messing with the transmission skid plate.

I thought to do that as well, but after installing that skid plate with those crappy spring retainers, I know a retainer or 2 will break after a number of changes, so I was hoping to avoid those mickey-mouse fasteners since they went on decent originally. A little rust and they spin right off or sit and spin in place. I do agree tho, it would be fairly quick to get that plate off....hmmmmmmmmm. lol

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score

If you have the Expy on ramps, the oil will all drain out the back of the oil filter drip pan. First time I didn't use ramps and was also surprised it drips out in two places.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not yet, was planning to get them once it warmed up. I have gotten to the point where I don't like working on cars in the cold.

Time for some heated storage! :). Mine sits in my 80* garage while its -25F outside! I work in my underwear lol.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I owned a Hummer H3 before the Expedition. The front skid plate had 4 bolts to remove, for the oil/filter change. I owned a 2009 Lincoln MKZ, that had a small, oil filter access panel. My 2011 Mustang has a plastic panel with two, 8mm screws, for oil filter access. Invest in a cheap cordless impact. It will make quick work of the r&r of the plate.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I owned a Hummer H3 before the Expedition. The front skid plate had 4 bolts to remove, for the oil/filter change. I owned a 2009 Lincoln MKZ, that had a small, oil filter access panel. My 2011 Mustang has a plastic panel with two, 8mm screws, for oil filter access. Invest in a cheap cordless impact. It will make quick work of the r&r of the plate.

I've got a Dewalt cordless impact, but I don't want to tear all that rusted crap off every time, as we live in Northern, WI and they salt our roads 7 months of the year. I'll just stick to changing it from the top side! As long as I don't have an extra cheeseburger, my arm should still fit! lol