Oil Filter: Is there a larger one that fits?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

callwill

Reaction score
Getting ready to do my first oil change in my new to me 2011 Expedition. On some vehicles i have been able to fit a larger capacity oil filter, wondering if that is the case with this one..
If anyone has done that, please let me know what filter you are using.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you would want to put on a longer filter, as the standard Motorcraft FL-820S has proven over many years to be a very good product and has quite a bit more filter media than the FL-500s filter used on 2015 and newer models.

Then there is fitment to consider.

Below is a picture of the 2011 with the standard 820s filter. As you can see at the current length, it is very close to the bottom radiator hose. Installing a filter with a longer body would cause the radiator hose to rub against the filter and would eventually wear through the hose, leaving the vehicle on the side of the road.

1682074375661.png

Attachments

• DSC01601.JPG
    DSC01601.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
C

callwill

Reaction score
Not necessarily longer, but larger oil capacity; because well, you know...more oil. If there arent any that fit ce la vie. Now off to rockauto to see what i can get...

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my old 2001 I used a remote oil filter kit. This kit had the option for single or double filter cans (I chose the double). They used a larger filter unit. Since they were remote-mounted (I had mine bolted to the front bumper frame), you could use pretty much any filter that would fit.

sully963

Reaction score
Not necessarily longer, but larger oil capacity; because well, you know...more oil. If there arent any that fit ce la vie. Now off to rockauto to see what i can get...
They are less than $4 at Rock Auto. The Motorcraft air filters are cheaper than anywhere else on Rock Auto too. I order a few of each every time because their shipping is kinda high

sulatek

Reaction score
I'm not sure why you would want to put on a longer filter, as the standard Motorcraft FL-820S has proven over many years to be a very good product and has quite a bit more filter media than the FL-500s filter used on 2015 and newer models.

Then there is fitment to consider.

Below is a picture of the 2011 with the standard 820s filter. As you can see at the current length, it is very close to the bottom radiator hose. Installing a filter with a longer body would cause the radiator hose to rub against the filter and would eventually wear through the hose, leaving the vehicle on the side of the road.

View attachment 77418
Yes This is correct
Yesterday I was changing the oil and filter of my son's 2009 Expedition. I found it difficult to remove the filter because it is close to the radiator tube I also found a piece to contain the leakage during the extraction of the filter, but its amulet did not fit well, as the oil leaked to the ground, declaring dirt that I did not want. I am surprised by these companies that cram some of the necessary maintenance parts!!

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The WIX 51087 is about 1.5" taller, same thread and gasket size, but you're going to run into clearance issues since it's so much bigger. And I don't see in my catalogs anything that's a whole lot wider, since the FL820S is already a pretty big around filter. You could probably get somebody to fab you up a remote mount filter and hang a HONKER of a big ol' diesel filter from it if you really wanted to, but I don't see anything off the shelf for the Expedition. I'd bet somebody makes one for the F150 that could be modified to work.

OP
OP
C

callwill

Reaction score
I am going with a stock size filter. Not going to get into fabbing/modifying.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Walmart and Amazon both have the FL-820S for less than $4.