Oil plug quick release

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$80 for an oil plug that doesn't even drain all of the oil out of the pan? I don't think so.......

You do realize that once the bulk of the oil is out, the Ronin plug can be removed all the way, if desired, to clean off the magnet and drain the dribble of oil left in the pan. The Ronin is held in place with a flat spring to prevent backing out but it can be removed with the application of inward pressure to overcome the retaining spring and then turned counterclockwise. Still makes the process quick and mostly painless.

If one can keep track of the “key” for ones lug nuts one can also clean the part that actually drains the oil and store it in a ziplock bag until needed for the next oil change. I’m sorry that the naysayers don’t like it but it is well made and specific to the crappy plastic oil pan that Ford used on the 2018s.

OP
OP
T

Tom T

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers.

(Luckily, the newer models went back to stell plug and all pan....)

Leaving 2oz of oil in? hmmm...interesting and kind of makes sense that it drains a bit less than if one removes the screw....on the other hand
a) I might change oil more often cos its easy
b) I might buy some Rhino ramps or so, to lift the front of the truck (maybe that does not help a lot)

Thoughts?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ya, I was expecting to remove the whole insert to fully drain the oil......

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Ronin leaves 1/8 of a cup of oil over the stock plug. I have two on order and they do sell replacement drain plugs if you lose one.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
This but a different model that is adjustable and drains straight down.....I put one on after the first pain in the a@@ oil change. Drains the oil straight down instead of sideways - what was a Ford engineer thinking about that day?
I've never understood why any of the engineers put oil drains in the side of oil pans...

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never understood why any of the engineers put oil drains in the side of oil pans...
If I had to guess it would be to keep the protruding plug from being exposed to potential bottoming out resulting in broke heads or hard to remove scuffed heads.