OK- what sound is THIS? TDI mod?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
lv2drive

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
here’s my addendum video, from january, to show the cam phaser noise at startup - and subsequent first minute idle with some mild wastegatey symptoms -

it sounds noticeably louder now with all this.

still drives strong, which is why i didn’t even think there was any issues -

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
fml

yeah seems constant

i run synthetic oil too

will be shopping for the best surgeon / probably on the jersey side
Hopefully not the low quality Mobile 1 junk? 2006ish the Euro spec good Mobile 1 stuff was no longer shipped to the US. The Mobile 1 we get now is a cheap high volatility oil. My 2006 Mercedes has 6 factory Mobile 1 only oil stickers under the hood, it’s actually never had Mobile 1 in it because euro spec Mobile 1 doesn’t even exist in the US today. LOL

The 3.5 bi turbo for sure should only get the Ford spec oil which I recall is Ford branded Valvoline synthetic

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hopefully not the low quality Mobile 1 junk? 2006ish the Euro spec good Mobile 1 stuff was no longer shipped to the US. The Mobile 1 we get now is a cheap high volatility oil. My 2006 Mercedes has 6 factory Mobile 1 only oil stickers under the hood, it’s actually never had Mobile 1 in it because euro spec Mobile 1 doesn’t even exist in the US today. LOL

The 3.5 bi turbo for sure should only get the Ford spec oil which I recall is Ford branded Valvoline synthetic

Most Fords get the Syn Blend from the factory, and that is what the dealer typically puts in them if you do the recommended oil change.

It is decent oil. Regular changes and it should do a excellent job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
OP
OP
lv2drive

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
they use motorcraft fully synthetic, i assume no concerns there?

she goes in for diagnostics tomorrow, + 2nd opinion diagnostics @ a hi-volume behemoth dealer’s truck division the following week .(leaning towards waiting a couple weeks for them as they crack these EB’s open daily.)

based on engine strength & oil level on, both svc mgrs said not to stop driving unless it throws codes.

maybe they just want me to blow it up, less headache for them. maybe its me who wants me to blow it up, who knows.

IDC either way, as now it’s only doing a 5 mile daily round trip to school till fix anyway.

was hoping to not crack this nut yet.

will update as it goes.

sigh.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine makes a similar knocking sound. The dealer told me it was the fuel pump and was normal. I found some other reports of it on F-150 forums. I’m also waiting for cam phaser parts to come in so they can fix the startup sound. Maybe then I can get the wastegate rattle addressed, but I’m not getting my hopes up.

cfldad

Reaction score
Ok, so I guess I paid attention today. I normally do remote start and load kids in. I do have a startup rattle which seemed to settle in first 60 seconds. Only 1300 miles at this point, 2020 purchased in January.

should I sit on it until first service or take it in? Pretty disappointed, but hopefully ford dealers around me have decent service groups. Been driving toyotas for a long time so not sure how much “normal” stuff you have to go through with an expy to get it fixed.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I also own a ‘90 Jeep YJ... it had a slight tick at startup that went away once it warmed up back in ‘09. Figured since it drove I wasn’t going to mess with it. Fast forward to 2016, and I start it up one Saturday morning... it sounded very similar to what your hearing. Mind you this is without any change from the previous sound. My diagnosis back in ‘09 was I had a lifter that wasn’t cooperating until warmer, thinner oil tried to intervene.

It was at that moment on that Saturday morning I thought it would be a good to pull the motor for a rebuild it’s been needing. What I found when I pulled the head was a lifter (remember the one I spoke of earlier?) stuck in the lifter valley. After removing all the others this particular one was seized in place. Obviously, if it can’t move the cam is eating both itself, and the lifter. Yeah, kinda sounded like those videos.

Another thing that makes me think the lifter is because of the frequency of the knock/ noise. It comes around very often. Think of the small circumference of a lifter... doesn’t take long for the high side of the lobe to come around and strike.

Hopefully... I am way off. Hopefully... you get this resolved with no major work. As to the question you ask referencing driving until it blows up, or getting it repaired... I’m kinda leaning on driving/ towing it to the dealer and complaining about it. Not sure I could bring myself to drive it until it blew up... unless of course they document they saw nothing wrong. Which we know would be insane. The dealer that’s been doing the oil changes should have definitely brought it to your attention.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I also own a ‘90 Jeep YJ... it had a slight tick at startup that went away once it warmed up back in ‘09. Figured since it drove I wasn’t going to mess with it. Fast forward to 2016, and I start it up one Saturday morning... it sounded very similar to what your hearing. Mind you this is without any change from the previous sound. My diagnosis back in ‘09 was I had a lifter that wasn’t cooperating until warmer, thinner oil tried to intervene.

It was at that moment on that Saturday morning I thought it would be a good to pull the motor for a rebuild it’s been needing. What I found when I pulled the head was a lifter (remember the one I spoke of earlier?) stuck in the lifter valley. After removing all the others this particular one was seized in place. Obviously, if it can’t move the cam is eating both itself, and the lifter. Yeah, kinda sounded like those videos.

Another thing that makes me think the lifter is because of the frequency of the knock/ noise. It comes around very often. Think of the small circumference of a lifter... doesn’t take long for the high side of the lobe to come around and strike.

Hopefully... I am way off. Hopefully... you get this resolved with no major work. As to the question you ask referencing driving until it blows up, or getting it repaired... I’m kinda leaning on driving/ towing it to the dealer and complaining about it. Not sure I could bring myself to drive it until it blew up... unless of course they document they saw nothing wrong. Which we know would be insane. The dealer that’s been doing the oil changes should have definitely brought it to your attention.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Camshaft turns at half the speed as the crankshaft. Lifter sounds would theoretically be half the frequency of crankshaft issues.