What is this POPPING Noise I am Hearing Under my Front End?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nalajr

Reaction score
Hey all.
I’ve got a problem that’s driving me crazy. A year or so ago my sister was driving my Expedition and swerved over and hit the front end of the car beside her. It was hit on the tire and slightly on the right front fender. I’ve replaced the fender but now I have to get rid of this annoyance.

Also, my 4WD doesn’t work now which started after the accident.

The sound is like a kinda loud pop each time I go over a bump in the road or pull into a drive thru where there might be a slight incline. If I put someone in the car, they would easily hear it too. There is no effect on the ride or steering. It also shifts up and down totally fine. Noise only comes when I run over something, no noise while normal driving in a smooth road.

Can you all give me some ideas on what this might be? Are there tasks I can do that will give a much better idea of where and why I’m getting the sound?

The noise sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side with about 1/3 of the time sounding like it’s from the drivers side. I just cannot pinpoint the area it’s coming from. I recently replaced the upper control arms on the front end. While there I tried to see if there were any readily visible issues or parts breakage. There was none. I tried moving the CV axle on each side to see if it was loose or anything. I couldn’t detect any but I was mainly pulling and trying to push it back and forth. I wasn’t able to grab it and try moving it up and down.

If you all can help me fix this I would LOVE IT! I would be able to enjoy driving around and exploring the area I just moved to. Maybe the thing that’s causing the popping noise is also causing my 4WD not to work. I can’t describe how thrilled I’d be if you all were to help me solve both issues.

Thank you all kindly for your help, advice and time. I appreciate it.
Have a safe week!!

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sway bar link. get both side and replace.
1 because it is easier to replace when both sides are off.
2 because having only one side connected and driving it will wear on the one that is not broke.

Also check the stabilizer bar itself (and bushings holding it in) for any damage.

Plati

Reaction score
Yes. I've had that link break on 2 different Expy's. Mine used to only pop when pulling into my driveway going through gutter at slow speed turning. Agree!