Opening door causing automatic shift to park!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaun Swiers

Reaction score
Was slowly backing up our 19 Expy and happened to open the door to look at something on the ground and the thing automatically shifts to park. WTF.

Granted I was going very slowly but it still ****** the truck. Not a fan.

Is there a way to disable this crap?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not a fan either. Keeping your drivers seatbelt latched, from what I've read, will allow you to open the door and remain in reverse.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why would you want to disable a safety feature? Keep your seatbelt latched if you plan to open the door while moving.

Think of a child that could open a door and fall out, then be run over.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why would you want to disable a safety feature? Keep your seatbelt latched if you plan to open the door while moving.
So you can see the front wheel position when driving the vehicle onto a service rack, or loading on a trailer for transport when you are the only one there. Granted you can fasten the seatbelt, but try that several times while trying to position the vehicle in a lift or on a rack. Then there is the farming, ranching, construction, and oilfield where you can be constantly in and out of the vehicle with only a few feet driving between stops, it becomes much more convenient to leave the door open.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Think of a child that could open a door and fall out, then be run over.

Lots of safety features in place without the need to throw itself in park. Child locks, door ajar chime, door ajar warning message.

My rear doors won’t even open from the inside until child locks are dealt with.

Last edited:

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know of a way to disable it. However, once I found out about the "feature" I learned that I could put it back into reverse or drive with the door open and it does not go back to park again. Now when I need to move the vehicle with the door open, I am prepared for it and wait for the shift into park to occur, then immediately override it and go about my business.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know of a way to disable it. However, once I found out about the "feature" I learned that I could put it back into reverse or drive with the door open and it does not go back to park again. Now when I need to move the vehicle with the door open, I am prepared for it and wait for the shift into park to occur, then immediately override it and go about my business.

correct. just open the door prior to reversing. I found out the hard way too!!