Opinions needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommyhedrick24

Reaction score
Hey all, new member to the forum, but not new to reading the posts. I have a 2021 Ford Exp Max 4x4 (with max trailering). I’m looking at a TT with an advertised dry weight if 6,040 and a 800lb hitch weight. I’m worried I’ll be over my hitch weight when loaded. Any thoughts/opinions? TIA

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just get a quality weight distribution hitch. The key is dispersing the weight of the rig over the trailer and truck axles. I'm also using 10 ply BFG's aired to 65 psi when towing to cut down on side sway. Using a 10K pound 4 point Equalizer hitch and towing a 6400 lb dry weight Cougar 25RDS that can gross out at 8800 lbs. Hitch weight is around 1000 lbs which is probably max being loaded lightly in the camper and truck. Handles good at 60-62 mph on a not so windy day!

IMG_6259.JPG

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all, new member to the forum, but not new to reading the posts. I have a 2021 Ford Exp Max 4x4 (with max trailering). I’m looking at a TT with an advertised dry weight if 6,040 and a 800lb hitch weight. I’m worried I’ll be over my hitch weight when loaded. Any thoughts/opinions? TIA

Need to find out if the hitch weight is based on the dry weight or GVWR of the camper. Some campers by design put more load on the tongue. The problem is that if your tongue weight is too high, you may exceed your axle ratings even with a good WDH.

Bama77

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has used the Weigh Safe Tru Tow WDH? I am looking to upgrade from a eaz lift bar and chain style hitch to either the Weigh Safe or the Equalizer. I’m using it on a 2017 Limited, heavy duty tow package with the auto level shocks.
Thanks for any advice.

Craig Payne

Reaction score
I pull a Passport 282QB with an Equalizer and it works great. I think it's hard to advise without fully understanding the final setup and load out. Which honestly was something I didn't even fully grasp until after I had many thousands of miles under me with this trailer. My trailer has 3 huge storage areas in the absolute back of the trailer that are massive, (key reason I bought the trailer). I store several very heavy pieces of equipment back there, (which is the exact reason I bought this specific trailer), and after checking weights on scales found that it was getting the tongue weight way too close to 10% for my liking. Luckily, the engineers at Keystone seem like they thought of this as they put almost all of the tanks at the extreme front end of the trailer and I always tow with a full fresh tank. That's why it is always hard to advise with an unloaded trailer. The problem is the axles act as a fulcrum which create a dynamic setup where adding weight does more than just add to the gross weight of the trailer. Weight on one end of the fulcrum pulls the center of gravity towards the added weight creating a more complex impact on weight than the mere mass that was added.

TLDR - Where you put stuff and where the tanks are located could increase or reduce tongue weight slightly or dramatically and the amount this will occur will be extremely challenging to calculate in advance.