Overhead console wiring question (Expedition SSV)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,

So, my new (to me) 2014 Expedition SSV has a big gaping hole in the ceiling from where the cop overhead console used to be. Unfortunately, they yanked it all out when the sold the truck... bummer!

I already took care of the same situation with the center console (see my other thread), but now I need to address the ceiling situation. Here it is now :

Console-Space.jpg

I got the center and overhead consoles off a 2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer from a scrap yard. The overhead console has the interior lights, homelink, sunroof switch (which my Expedition luckily doesn't have) and climate control switches (which I already removed from console). In my ceiling, I only have two wires available: a positive and a negative 12V.

I would need to know which wires on this overhead console from a 2004 Explorer are the positive and negative 12V for the lights and the homelink (if I can get it to work). The lights are the most important, but it would be cool if the homelink came alive as well!

From what I can see, I have 5 wires going into the main console plug:

1. Black
2. White with red stripe
3. Black with blue stripe
4. Green
5. Brown with red stripe

I have limited knowledge of the automotive electric code (or diagrams), so I figured I would ask here if anyone is familiar with where the positive / negative 12V is supposed to connect?

Thanks in advance!

Here are a few pictures. I already measured the console and trimmed the edges with a Dremel to fit the Expedition. All I need to do now is wire it and attach to the ceiling bracket :

Console-Plug.jpg

Console-002.jpg

Console-001.jpg

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can hook you up with an SSV 3rd gen unit in "stone" (grey), complete assembly

What's it worth to you?

OP
OP
762mm

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can hook you up with an SSV 3rd gen unit in "stone" (grey), complete assembly

What's it worth to you?

I don't know what it is, as I have never seen it... does it have map lights?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PS for hunting down +/- 12v on an unplugged accessory, get a 9V battery and clip and start sticking the clip wires into the harness and trying to turn on the lights

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know what it is, as I have never seen it... does it have map lights?

Its the same exact thing as any other 3rd gen without a sunroof has - maplights, flipdown panoramic nanny mirror, and sunglass holder

OP
OP
762mm

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PS for hunting down +/- 12v on an unplugged accessory, get a 9V battery and clip and start sticking the clip wires into the harness and trying to turn on the lights

Good idea, I haven't considered it... the reason why I didn't want to connect to random wires is because I don't want to burn the homelink via reverse polarity, etc.

I searched online for wiring diagrams for a 2004 Explorer and found the following, albeit for a different model. The wire colors are different on my console though, plus there's 5 of them instead of 4.

Mine are:

1. Black
2. White with red stripe
3. Black with blue stripe
4. Green
5. Brown with red stripe

Diagram :

Map-lights-assembly.jpg

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wth is a homelink? Regardless, the above diagram doesn't seem to have whatever it is

Also Ford changes pinouts often

OP
OP
762mm

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your console looks good. I'm not sure how I would attach it though, as there's no grommet or screw holes left in my ceiling, just a metal bracket riveted to the interior window frame.

PM me with asking price, please... and I'll marinate on that! ;)

OP
OP
762mm

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wth is a homelink? Regardless, the above diagram doesn't seem to have whatever it is

Also Ford changes pinouts often

Homelink is a throw back to the 1990's, where you would have a garage opener / exterior lights controller built in right into your overhead console. It was an option on luxury cars and SUVs. Our 1997 Nissan Pathfinder LE had it... and this 2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer appears to have had it too.

This is it, pic from another vehicle. You can program up to three devices :

home-installation-visor.jpg

https://www.homelink.com/home/welcome