Owned 08' till 250k, Drive 17' F-150 5.0 now, considering going to 17' used expo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marauderleader

Reaction score
I have a 13' and 15' 5.0 SCREW, and a 17' Expy Limited, bought the limited semi right, but new, wifey drives it, drives great, it was a little spendy though. I'll have it for 10 years, she has 9k on it 2.5 years into ownership, and they depreciate fast.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Why would you want a vehicle with a sketchy history and a v6 turbo motor? Stick with the V8 S Crew.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 17 XLT EL with luxury package (202a) and it has amazing power. I previously had a 5.0 Lariat F150 with 5.0 and a 10 platinum F150 with 5.4 and max tow. The platinum pulled far better than the 5.0 truck, and that expedition pulls far better still. Mine is CPO and I'm toying with purchasing an extended warranty to 125k miles since my wife loves the truck and it pulls our camper like a boss in the mountains with plenty of space inaife for family of 5.

Full disclosure I reccomended these things to everyone but with the sole caviat being don't touch one that doesn't have a Ford warranty on at least the powertrain. I'll keep it and enjoy it till the warranty is near up and then sell or trade for a newer one. There really is no comparison to this kind of power.

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a '16 Expedition that I bought with 56,*** miles on it a year and a half ago, and have no warranty, but it had a full maintenance history of 5k mile synthetic oil changes at the dealer it was bought from. I'm planning to keep it until 150,000 miles. I do my own maintenance and repairs, so it's a gamble I was willing to take. How many twin turbo v6s has Ford sold now? A million? And no widespread failures?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 17 XLT EL with luxury package (202a) and it has amazing power. I previously had a 5.0 Lariat F150 with 5.0 and a 10 platinum F150 with 5.4 and max tow. The platinum pulled far better than the 5.0 truck, and that expedition pulls far better still. Mine is CPO and I'm toying with purchasing an extended warranty to 125k miles since my wife loves the truck and it pulls our camper like a boss in the mountains with plenty of space inaife for family of 5.

Full disclosure I reccomended these things to everyone but with the sole caviat being don't touch one that doesn't have a Ford warranty on at least the powertrain. I'll keep it and enjoy it till the warranty is near up and then sell or trade for a newer one. There really is no comparison to this kind of power.

coolzzy what was the gear ratio in your 5.0 vs 5.4 equipped truck? I know the 5.4L has more low end torque but the 5.0 is pretty powerful and breaths good at higher rpm. Was there a gear ratio difference between your Lariat and Platinum? Did the 5.0 downshift more often?

I believe the 5.0 is a good engine, just more rev happy being oversquare.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 5.0 had 3.55 gears and the 5.4 had 3.73. There was no comparison in pulling power, the 5.4 walked all over the 5.slow in towing duties. In a drag race the 5.0 would probably take the lead after revving out to 4k rpm but 4k rpm climbing a mountain going 40 mph with trailer behind you in 2nd gear is not any fun at all. The 5.4 pulled the same load up the same mountain at 3500rpm without struggle or overheating transmission like the 5.0 would (every. Single. Time. Transmission temp rising to 240 before I'd pull off and let it cool). 5.4 (2010 model) never ever went over 212 on transmission temp even in dead of summer in 95 degree temperatures.

Ecoboost will overheat the motor unless you keep speed below 50 on a steep climb when towing. It's not for lack of power, those turbos don't miss a beat but there is some programmed flaw or safety measure built into the computer that signals an overheat warning and says to reduce speed and you lose all power. Let off the gas for 10 seconds and the coolant temp instantly drops to normal instantly.....

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying, i wouldn’t say 3.55 to 3.73 ratio is a huge difference either. I guess that’s what happens when you compare a strictly truck engine like the 5.4L to a mixed use revvy pony car engine like the 5.0L. I have read that the 5.4 Triton has more ft lbs to 4K revs before too.

I’m sure the 5.0 is more fun for daily and spirited driving with occasional lighter towing. Overheating the trans under load is no good nor fun however.

Last edited:

Expy_Tac

Reaction score
I just picked up a ‘17 XLT 4x4 with 26k miles in December. Love it and the Ecoboost has a ton of very smooth power. Found one with leather, sunroof, SYNC3 and tow package. So basically a Limited with a little less chrome (which was a good thing). I did add an extended warranty that will cover me to 125k miles. I was looking at a few different trucks but the Expedition was more practical for the family. Plus I’ve always really likeed the Expys but never owned one. After a little research, found the Expeditions seem to be reliable and not a lot of issues with the TT V6.

For what it’s worth from a new member, I’ve been really happy with the rig so far. Great power, smooth ride and decent mileage for a big heavy suv. Plus it’s just huge inside for both family trips and runs to the home improvement store.

OP
OP
E

Edmaude

Reaction score
May just stick with the F-150 5.0 due to the numbers. It is a good truck and I really can't knock the 5.0. it is powerful, sounds great and returns good MPG even when towing. I dont tow more than 5000-6000 lbs and it does fine. Same load with my old 2008 expo also did ok, but I like the ability on the truck to lock out upper gears. If I do pursue the 2017 expo I will only get a unit with the ford CPO warranty.

What are you guys getting real world MPG with the eco boost expeditions? Will see how this shakes out