Owned 08' till 250k, Drive 17' F-150 5.0 now, considering going to 17' used expo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edmaude

Reaction score
Folks,

I drove my 2008 til 250k and really liked the truck. I then moved into a 17' F-150 4x4 super crew with the 5.0 for the past two years. I like the truck and the 5.0, but honestly found the expedition more versatile for work and family.

There are a ton of prior rental ( not the best scenario but market is full) XLT models for sale here in NY that I can basically key swap with my F-150, but none have the HD tow package which I would really prefer vs. adding piece by piece aftermarket. I drove a 17' limited yesterday and loved it, but this would require some out of pocket which is not part of the plan.

Any insight from the group would be appreciated. I was up in the air with ecoboost vs. 5.0 on the pickup and have been pleased with the power and fuel economy. After driving the ecoboot expo yesterday I was really impressed with the torque and acceleration

Any insight is appreciated

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The '17 screw is probably worth more. Fseries holds value really well.

TxOutlaw

Reaction score
Yep, stick with the F150 if you want to hold your value... We keep our expy around as our family wagon, but if we ever replace it we may jump ship to a GM product so the value will hold better!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh no, Expedition and Navigator are by far the most truck for your buck... just AFTER they take the depreciation hit and the generation-behind discount

Just buy them when they're in the $5 - 15k range, maybe 20k tops, that's all

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 17 XLT that was either a fleet or rental. Very basic with cloth seats and no HD towing package. I bought it with 29,000 last year and am approaching 50,000. I like it quite a bit and have had no issues. I've towed a untilty trailer pushing 5 to 6K llbs and a camaro on a transport from Central Alabama to Albany NY and back to Roanoke Va a couple of time in 90F summer heat.

It tows and drives great with impressive gas mileage. My 07 Sequoia averaged 14mpg and I'm averaging nearly 18mpg with the Expy in similar driving and the 18s and above are getting even better than that.

I really wanted another Sequoia as I don't trust Ford's long term quality. Yeah you can get 200,000 miles out of one but how much "nickel & dime" stuff needs repairs. Not to mention the paint issues on the tail gate & hood. I had similar experience with my older 4.0 jeeps. The 3 Toyotas (2 Tacomas & the Sequoia) I've owned nothing other than oil changes, timing belt/water pump at 90,000 miles (required maintenance), tires, brakes and spark plugs.

The previous poster is correct on value loss from new. I got a 1 year old 2017 with 29,000 miles on it for $34K. For a Sequoia I would have had to get a much older one with 75,000 or miles on it. The lowered used value is why I'm giving it a try.

You may not even have to get a 17. I've seen 18s used for a very good price if you don't mind an XL model.

I just did a search for 17s & 18s 4wheel drive with less than 60,000 miles. Yikes now $34K on the 17 looks high. I just bought it a year ago LOL

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Used+Cars/AWD+~+4WD/Ford/Expedition/Orlando+FL-32801?startYear=2017&maxMileage=60000&driveGroup=AWD4WD&makeCodeList=FORD&listingTypes=CERTIFIED,USED&searchRadius=0&modelCodeList=EXPEDI,EXPEDIEL,FORDEXPMAX&zip=32801&endYear=2019&marketExtension=true&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&numRecords=100&firstRecord=0

Last edited:

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 17 XLT that was either a fleet or rental. Very basic with cloth seats and no HD towing package. I bought it with 29,000 last year and am approaching 50,000. I like it quite a bit and have had no issues. I've towed a untilty trailer pushing 5 to 6K llbs and a camaro on a transport from Central Alabama to Albany NY and back to Roanoke Va a couple of time in 90F summer heat.

It tows and drives great with impressive gas mileage. My 07 Sequoia averaged 14mpg and I'm averaging nearly 18mpg with the Expy in similar driving and the 18s and above are getting even better than that.

I really wanted another Sequoia as I don't trust Ford's long term quality. Yeah you can get 200,000 miles out of one but how much "nickel & dime" stuff needs repairs. Not to mention the paint issues on the tail gate & hood. I had similar experience with my older 4.0 jeeps. The 3 Toyotas (2 Tacomas & the Sequoia) I've owned nothing other than oil changes, timing belt/water pump at 90,000 miles (required maintenance), tires, brakes and spark plugs.

The previous poster is correct on value loss from new. I got a 1 year old 2017 with 29,000 miles on it for $34K. For a Sequoia I would have had to get a much older one with 75,000 or miles on it. The lowered used value is why I'm giving it a try.

You may not even have to get a 17. I've seen 18s used for a very good price if you don't mind an XL model.

I just did a search for 17s & 18s 4wheel drive with less than 60,000 miles. Yikes now $34K on the 17 looks high. I just bought it a year ago LOL

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Used+Cars/AWD+~+4WD/Ford/Expedition/Orlando+FL-32801?startYear=2017&maxMileage=60000&driveGroup=AWD4WD&makeCodeList=FORD&listingTypes=CERTIFIED,USED&searchRadius=0&modelCodeList=EXPEDI,EXPEDIEL,FORDEXPMAX&zip=32801&endYear=2019&marketExtension=true&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&numRecords=100&firstRecord=0

Dunno about 3.5l v6 TT's, but the 5.4l v8's certainly don't nickel and dime you as you run up the miles towards 200k

30k or 130k or 50k vs 150k shouldn't be any different for operating expenses

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I usually buy the Demos from the dealer. They still have their warranties and are well maintained and they have some nice discounts. My dealer will not let a demo go over 12,000 miles.

OP
OP
E

Edmaude

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. The 3.5 eco is impressive, but long term running costs in the 200K plus range could be rough. My 5.4 with 250k ran perfectly and saw its fair share of towing etc as well. the F-150 seems to have depreciated much more than I thought it would.

I'm working a few dealers on some 2017 limited models that are certified. If I can walk away for a ew gran out of pocket and the ford certified warranty I may do this.

Or the idea of going back into a 2011-2012 limited around 11-14k seems appealing all of a sudden. I am still just blown away by the power the eco put out. I tow a 7x18 dual axle trailer with cars and tractors on it and the 5.0 in the truck does the job put it likes the rev

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya the 5.0 is relatively rev happy compared to the 5.4 and 3.5 but it excels in top end power where the later two fall on their faces. The 5.4L is an undersquare V8 (more stroke than bore), which creates good low end and mid range torque. The 3.5 Ecoboost is turbocharged and they are designed to give it boost early in the band, gobs of torque. The 5.0 is oversquare V8, likes to rev. However it has more top end pull than the other two and is an overall good engine. The 5.0 is fine and good to tow but best suited with at least 3.55s.

Last edited: