P0022 P0012

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2011 5.4 3 valve POS.
Sometimes stalls at idle. Tap the throttle and it's OK. Othertimes it's OK. No problem with mileage. No problems at speed. Oil level OK.

History. Recent replaced, chains, guides, phasers, Cams, followers.

2 days ago, driving an incline at 80 mph a heavy clunk. Not so loud but like I had hit a deer dead center. No problems the rest of that day.

Yesterday, started rough idling, stalled 2 times. Today, intermittent rough idle. Driving 300 miles to home.

Initially I was thinking it jumped a tooth. But would it be intermittent? Then because a tap on the pedal straightens it out, oil pump going out?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I might've missed it. Did you say you replaced the VCT solenoids when you did the timing work ? How 'bout the oil pump ? Was a new high volume pump installed ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd have to look at the invoice to see if they replaced the solenoids. I bet not. Definitely did not replace the oil pump.

I didn't think to look at the oil pressure gauge. I know it's not acurate but if it's dropping, it probably would show the dip.

I called my mechanic (not the one that did the front and top of the motor. Never going back to him) on the way home and it's going in tomorrow at noon. If it's the oil pump, it won't be fixed. The finance company will get it back.

I'm so over this engine.

OP
OP
G

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The mechanic I had it at, I have found out everyone left recently and I believe they are closing up. They read the codes is all. Said I need a new engine. I'm just giving it back to the finance company. Not worth putting a single dollar into it.

Funny though it ran just fine. It did the same thing 2 days ago on a couple of short trips.

If it had jumped a tooth maybe on 1 cam, would it run perfectly like this? I don't even want to have it diagnosed at this point that might cost me anything.

I don't have a barn or garage or even want to look at it anymore. So sick of this 5.4 3.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your problems with service people and your truck. These motors will go 300,000 miles if they are maintained, mostly oil change frequency and using Motorcraft parts. The guys on here will offer good advice with this truck or a future one if these problems have not soured you on the expedition.

OP
OP
G

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Final outcome. Motor I trash. I'm giving it back to the finance company.

I've had fords since my first, a 71 pinto in 1978. I've always had a Ford among my vehicles. Sometimes 3. This 1 engine has ended the fords for me. They obviously don't care about people or they'd recalled thse POS's.

Friday we bought a RAV4 as replacement for the main vehicle, and my truck will have to be my pair of 2004 Trailblazers.

Cheers all. Take this as a warning if considering this engine.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, most of my previous vehicles have been German or Japanese and they definitely have some quirks but they were all very well engineered and well built. I've also had a few Fords that were mostly reliable. The cost cutting choices Ford made on this 5.4L engine are completely unacceptable. They literally could have spent a few more $ and had an outstanding engine.

It really is too bad because other than the engine, I love my Expedition and it perfectly suits my needs. I have an extended warranty so a catastrophic failure wouldn't be the end of the world financially, but it is still a large headache with how long it takes to get repairs done these days, parts availability, lack of loaner vehicles, etc.

Speed 330

Reaction score
2011 5.4 3 valve POS.
Sometimes stalls at idle. Tap the throttle and it's OK. Othertimes it's OK. No problem with mileage. No problems at speed. Oil level OK.

History. Recent replaced, chains, guides, phasers, Cams, followers.

2 days ago, driving an incline at 80 mph a heavy clunk. Not so loud but like I had hit a deer dead center. No problems the rest of that day.

Yesterday, started rough idling, stalled 2 times. Today, intermittent rough idle. Driving 300 miles to home.

Initially I was thinking it jumped a tooth. But would it be intermittent? Then because a tap on the pedal straightens it out, oil pump going out?
Did you by chance put new VVT IN IT