p0315 Crankshaft Position Sensor Variation Not Learned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattP1976

Reaction score
2004 4.6 Expedition with a P0315 code. Runs fine. I replaced the crank sensor and reset the codes. I inspected the wiring from the sensor with no issues found. I replaced the engine last year with a used motor. I replaced all the timing components at that time (chains, guides, tensioners). Anyone else have a similar issue?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles are on the engine? When you did the timing gear, did you notice any damage to the tone ring there on the crankshaft that the position sensor reads off of? There's that deceleration procedure you can run through that lets the ECU relearn the CKP/tone ring calibration. (Accelerate to 60 mph then take your foot off the gas and let it coast down to 40 mph, repeat 3 times ....). How often is the DTC coming up after you clear it?

OP
OP
MattP1976

MattP1976

Reaction score
The engine had about 90000 miles on in it. I did not see any damage to the tone ring. The code usually takes a few drive cycles to come back. I did not do the ECU relearn procedure. Should I clear the codes and try the procedure?