P0340, P0344... Timing Chain codes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prez1967

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Camshaft Position Sensor codes popped up when scanning my OBD port the other day for a check engine light.

Bad sensors? or timing chain replacement/service time? Thoughts?

I didnt hear anything out of the ordinary when driving the truck but its been parked since last friday when I scanned the computer.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The code looks like either bad cam position sensor or faulty wiring/connection to it. The sensor itself isn't too expensive, around 20 bucks for the OEM one, so if you want to save yourself some time you can just try to throw a sensor at it and see if it works. If it doesn't, you'll have to start checking the wiring and the connector.

Edit:

You can try to swap the two sensors, the cam sensors on bank 1 and 2 are identical, and see if the code follows the cam sensor. That would confirm if it's the sensor or the wiring.

Last edited:

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
newbie question alert: Do these timing chains need to be replaced at a specific mileage interval?

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's no specific intervals, but might not be a bad idea to at least pop the valve covers at some time around 100-150k just to inspect the chains and see if there are any slack. As long as proper oil and oil change intervals are maintained, the chains should last a very long time.

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's no specific intervals, but might not be a bad idea to at least pop the valve covers at some time around 100-150k just to inspect the chains and see if there are any slack. As long as proper oil and oil change intervals are maintained, the chains should last a very long time.

ok, thanks. IF, it breaks, are these interference engines?

OP
OP
prez1967

prez1967

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking through an online technician database my buddy uses at his shop, it was suggested that a faulty alternator could be the cause of this intermittent code. Since we have recently replaced the alternator on this car, we started with this first. Drove back to work in traffic for 45 min, everything seems to be fine. No codes, no unusual noises, drives as smooth as ever.

Crossing my fingers it was something this simple. Alternator has a lifetime warranty also so no $$$ out of pocket so far.