Painted Stock Rims?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys,
My 2000 XLT came with the stock double-five spoke silver painted/polished alloy 16" x 7" rims.
Well after 7 years as a work truck, the rims are really beat.
Heavy oxidation, baked on break dust, etching, heavy scratches, etc...
They are well beyond a good cleaning. I've tried many different things and know they will never be the same with traditional cleaning.
I was thinking about sanding them down to bare metal and painting them. I know Duplicolor has cans of paint specifically for such applications.
Just wondering if anyone has tried such a project.
Looking for advice, tips, opinions, suggestions, etc.
Also, the stock rims were silver painted/polished...what color should I go with? I could do silver, white, graphite, black, or bronze if i go the Duplicolor route. I could do a two-tone pattern, too, I don't mind the extra work.
My truck is medium wedgewood blue w/gray leather and black tinted windows. I also have huge AT tires on these stock rims.
Finally, for those of you that know, I do have 22" chrome wheels, but I need these stock rims for the winter and offroad/work conditions.
Aight, thanks for the responses. :cheers:

Last edited:

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First impression says that probably won't work out all that great. You could buy used ones off ebay for cheap. If not maybe use steel whool and get off as much as possible without taking the polish off then paint the spots you take to much. Theres people that do that for a living, my dads friend did it to his old caddie and it worked pretty well. 100 a rim or so.