Park to Drive or Reverse bang clunk jolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do other owners sometimes get a clunk and jolt coming out of park, or reverse to drive? Just a really hard shift.

I always set parking brake, that should avoid any slack in gearing.

I also noticed a hard down shift last week.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know this usually is due to the parking job loading the parking pawl most cars will do this if parked on a hill incorrectly. Park , put parking brake on, let off foot brake then put it in park the vehicle settles on the parking brake not the transmission .

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Two or three times I have put mine into reverse first thing in the morning in our garage (which is level ground) and it’s slammed into gear so hard it’s chirped the tires.

It seems to clunk into gear more often than I’d like, but it’s usually only when the tranny is cold.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mines done it probably 3 times in its life and it feels horrible when it does it. And is kinda startles me because its pretty violent.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine cluncked couple of times in our flat garage.

Now I move it to N first thing in the morning, then to R. I find it less cluncky that way!

OP
OP
Vipersinu2

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok Thanks, I will call it "NORMAL" then.

It feels and sounds like there is a broken mount when the clunk occurs.

Eye opening for sure.

benitazer

Reaction score
I have had the same problem. I set the ebrake on incline to avoid the clunk noise. Also will happen when I shift the dial to fast maybe like 3 times. I do experience like a clunk noise sometimes when coming to a stop. I have experienced it in ours and a loaner expedition also

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have this and a harsh downshift in to 4th gear when slowing down. I’ll bring it in eventually as there’s a TSB for the downshifting.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised if cold temps and cold Transmission play a role in this also.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes normal in that it is wrong lol.

When I start my truck--even in warm ambient temps--it revs and holds 1300-1400 rpms for quite some time (added to the dealer check list). Giving the gas a light goose to bring revs down does nothing, and if I put it in drive, it jumps a bit of course (but not a slam). So now I start it up prior any driving--warm it up--regardless of day, time or temp--with the lovely Ford phone ap. Glad the intrusive Auto Stop is there to reduce the carbon foot-print...

I have also had an occasional bang shift. The 10-speed is not quite ready for prime-time IMHO. I an hoping a software update is due.