Parking Brake Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
Remember when exhaust systems were
Building them cheap, is why American cars from the 70's and 80's, destroyed there reputations. Take the Chevy Vega, for example. One the worst cars ever made. It was the case of, we could build it better, but won't. Every cost saving thing was done and some cars were found, rusting on the showroom floor. I would happily pay extra, for a new car with stainless steel brake lines. So would most people.
Seems like (it's been a few years) vehicle exhaust systems used to rust out quickly and you were constantly going to the muffler shop for repairs ... then at some point that pretty much stopped. I always thought a law had passed mandating stainless steel exhaust. My OEM 2003 Expy is still working after 15 years. Am I dreaming again?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, exaust does last longer these days. The pinto was another example of rushing a car to market. Cost cutting, not enough r&d time. The biggest issue was no rear crash support for the fuel tank. The other cheap items could have been improved on, but safety is never forgiven by consumers. That and the Firestone 500 incident, really let Ford take a big hit back in the 70's. Overall though the Ford/Mercury/Lincoln's of the 70's we're some of the sharpest looking vehicles available, particularly the 70-74 models , not to mentioned the 70-73 models had some great horsepower, then the oil embargo of 73 killed it all!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you purchase the rebuilt calipers did it come with ALL new hardware ? Those additional parts are useful on older vehicles.

Capture.JPG

Also, clean the area UNDER the where the stainless steel shims sit until it is shiny clean and grease that area also.

OP
OP
Fordhearter

Fordhearter

Reaction score
Yeah the calipers I bought from Advance Auto came with the new slide bolts and sleeves along with those metal brackets that the pads slide on and the brake hose copper looking washers.

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
No, exaust does last longer these days. The pinto was another example of rushing a car to market. Cost cutting, not enough r&d time. The biggest issue was no rear crash support for the fuel tank. The other cheap items could have been improved on, but safety is never forgiven by consumers. That and the Firestone 500 incident, really let Ford take a big hit back in the 70's. Overall though the Ford/Mercury/Lincoln's of the 70's we're some of the sharpest looking vehicles available, particularly the 70-74 models , not to mentioned the 70-73 models had some great horsepower, then the oil embargo of 73 killed it all!

I remember sometime in the 80’s driving back from a movie in my friends Pinto. His dad was driving. As we were going down the freeway he pulled the shift lever right out of the hump. His expression was priceless. To this day I laugh out loud thinking about it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember Chryslers motto, quality is job #1, anybody remember the 2.2 engined K car. Never ending vacuum leaks. If it weren't for the minivan in 1984 Chrysler would be gone. What was Fords slogan, we got a better idea. Every new/used pinto/bobcat, came with a fire extinguisher free of charge!

Plati

Reaction score
Reminds me of a true Xerox story. The worlds first automatic copier, the Xerox 914 tended to catch the copy paper on fire. Xerox had to include a fire extinguisher with the machine. Marketing genius's at Xerox creatively turned this into a plus by naming it the "Scorch Eliminator". http://xeroxnostalgia.com/copiers/xerox-914/

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh that's a good one. That Xerox manager more than likely became a politician!