Parking Brake Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
In the "RUST BELT" it is known to never mess with them. Auto manufactures rather have 12 airbags or automatic braking, but can't make a parking brake that will last.

OP
OP
Fordhearter

Fordhearter

Reaction score
I grew up in upstate New York I know all about the rust belt lol. I did think about removing the parking brake pads completely since my county in Washington doesn’t do inspections but I like having it just in case. Hopefully I don’t have anymore issues for a while.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They call it an emergency brake for a good reason. Between downshifting, and pushing that little pedal under your left foot, it might let you see tomorrow, if the failure arises!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
They call it an emergency brake for a good reason. Between downshifting, and pushing that little pedal under your left foot, it might let you see tomorrow, if the failure arises!

Its kind of humorous ... in a way ... but I've had "mechanics" tell me "its not an emergency brake, it's a parking brake. Its not designed or intended to slow the moving vehicle."

Shake my head. Yeah OK.

I've never tried it but downshifting doesn't work on auto tranny when engine is off?

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Its kind of humorous ... in a way ... but I've had "mechanics" tell me "its not an emergency brake, it's a parking brake. Its not designed or intended to slow the moving vehicle."

Shake my head. Yeah OK.

I've never tried it but downshifting doesn't work on auto tranny when engine is off?
The master cylinder, is separated in to two systems. If you lose one, you have the other. I had a brake line burst and was able to nurse it home. Braking is weak, but it will stop. Parking/holding on a grade, especially a manual trans, is what parking brake is for. Using it to stop would be dangerous. The shoes are small and the Expy weighs 5000lb. I had one stick and it drove sluggish, but still moved. If you were to jam it on hard enough it would lock the rear wheels. That can cause, loss of control.

Plati

Reaction score
The master cylinder, is separated in to two systems. If you lose one, you have the other. I had a brake line burst and was able to nurse it home. Braking is weak, but it will stop. Parking/holding on a grade, especially a manual trans, is what parking brake is for. Using it to stop would be dangerous. The shoes are small and the Expy weighs 5000lb. I had one stick and it drove sluggish, but still moved. If you were to jam it on hard enough it would lock the rear wheels. That can cause, loss of control.
I totally understand and respect what you say ... it was interesting enough that I thought (as a last ditch place to look) i'd see what the Owners Manual says ... 2003 Expo. It IS called a Parking Brake, never called an Emergency Brake !!! Wow, cool. I will only use it in an emergency, that's for sure from now on. If I need to test it (annually) I will do that stopped not moving. I also engage it few times a year to keep it from locking up.

Parking brake
Apply the parking brake whenever
the vehicle is parked. To set the
parking brake, press the parking
brake pedal down until the pedal
stops.

However, if the normal brakes fail, the parking brake can be used to stop
your vehicle in an emergency. Since the parking brake applies only the
rear brakes, the vehicle’s stopping distance will increase greatly and the
handling of your vehicle will be adversely affected.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well polarizer, now you know why you crawl around your vehicle when brakes are being changed, or just doing a safety inspection. You want to catch a rotted brake hose, or a corroded brake line. Any mechanic worth his wrenches does just that. When it comes to brakes, like I've stated repeatedly, you don't cheat! Now their will always be individuals that don't care, slap on a set of pads and go. You made a comment about transmission not downshifting with engine off. Why would your engine be dead during a hydraulic brake failure? That's when you need your engine the most. A proper functioning hydraulic brake system will bring the vehicle to a halt with a dead motor, but you need a strong right leg, as theirs no boost assist!

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Well polarizer, now you know why you crawl around your vehicle when brakes are being changed, or just doing a safety inspection. You want to catch a rotted brake hose, or a corroded brake line. Any mechanic worth his wrenches does just that. When it comes to brakes, like I've stated repeatedly, you don't cheat! Now their will always be individuals that don't care, slap on a set of pads and go. You made a comment about transmission not downshifting with engine off. Why would your engine be dead during a hydraulic brake failure? That's when you need your engine the most. A proper functioning hydraulic brake system will bring the vehicle to a halt with a dead motor, but you need a strong right leg, as theirs no boost assist!

Please explain why, my 1st gen has a stainless steel fuel line. It looks brand new and every other line has surface rust. If Ford gave a hoot, they use stainless or composite material for brake lines. They could even protective coat the ones they use. There is alternatives to salt for deicing roads. It is about time to start using them. Vehicles, roads and bridges are paying the price.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of the reasons they don't use stainless steel is that it can crack when being flared. Also as usual its a cost to profit issue. When your building an average of 2-3 hundred thousand units per year, an increase of say $10.00 each can be huge. That would mean increasing retail price by $100.00 or more per unit. The bean counters look at it and say, will it make it past warranty period. If the answer is yes, and can we get sued for it! No, well lets use the cheaper ones!

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
One of the reasons they don't use stainless steel is that it can crack when being flared. Also as usual its a cost to profit issue. When your building an average of 2-3 hundred thousand units per year, an increase of say $10.00 each can be huge. That would mean increasing retail price by $100.00 or more per unit. The bean counters look at it and say, will it make it past warranty period. If the answer is yes, and can we get sued for it! No, well lets use the cheaper ones!

Building them cheap, is why American cars from the 70's and 80's, destroyed there reputations. Take the Chevy Vega, for example. One the worst cars ever made. It was the case of, we could build it better, but won't. Every cost saving thing was done and some cars were found, rusting on the showroom floor. I would happily pay extra, for a new car with stainless steel brake lines. So would most people.