Performance Upgrade 4th Gen 2020 Expedition XLT w/tow package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BetterDays36

Reaction score
Looking to update induction system, exhaust and chip or flash up.

Any input on the following;
Computer Chip I’ve been looking at;

Simple plug and play
https://www.thortonchiptuning.com/p...2kp5QQlGsWFjeeA1v3PawS6P5RPQ66IRoCLbgQAvD_BwE

K&N Induction and down pipe
https://www.knfilters.com/63-2609-performance-air-intake-system
https://www.knfilters.com/77-1001kc-charge-pipe-kit

Exhaust
Corsa – Not available
Boral – Not available
Magnaflow - https://www.magnaflow.com/products/...et-series-cat-back-performance-exhaust-system
Flowmaster – Not available

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pick a tuner, then get the tuning hardware they work with. Unleashed, Mpg, and ZFG come up frequently. There are previous discussions on exhaust. Results have been mixed.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pick a tuner, then get the tuning hardware they work with. Unleashed, Mpg, and ZFG come up frequently. There are previous discussions on exhaust. Results have been mixed.
What @JasonH said, but it is MPT, not MPG.

That page is a joke, for ALL motors(ALL, Non Fords too) they say their Stage 3 gives 60HP....HAHAHAHAHA! I will bet it is just a throttle mapper, or maybe a Boost Fooler. I did not look at the install instructions, because it is a waste of time.

As far as intake, I would recommend AFE's with the Dry media over the K&N.

OP
OP
B

BetterDays36

Reaction score
I appreciate the input. HI-tech tuning is new to me. I'm a late 60's gear head, just truing to get a little extra more or MPG out of my expedition and towing a 6200lb travel trailer. Lokiwolf, you're right, mixing motors brands and other stuff doesn't help for specific GEN and motor. I'm going thru the Cam Phaser repair right now and will visit a local tuner once that is completed. I'm trying to educate myself prior to speaking with them so I can understand the different products.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I appreciate the input. HI-tech tuning is new to me. I'm a late 60's gear head, just truing to get a little extra more or MPG out of my expedition and towing a 6200lb travel trailer. Lokiwolf, you're right, mixing motors brands and other stuff doesn't help for specific GEN and motor. I'm going thru the Cam Phaser repair right now and will visit a local tuner once that is completed. I'm trying to educate myself prior to speaking with them so I can understand the different products.
Drop me a message anytime, or check out some of the tuning discussions on here, and I can help point you in the direction of options. These EcoBoosts REALLY wake up with even just a little tuning. Just make sure whoever you chose, make sure they have experience with Ecoboosts.

OP
OP
B

BetterDays36

Reaction score
Have you heard or seen anything that say some of the exhaust systems will mess up transmissions? Inductions and chip/tuning, from what i's seeing, don't seem cause any problems or damage.

BP 09

Reaction score
Have you heard or seen anything that say some of the exhaust systems will mess up transmissions? Inductions and chip/tuning, from what i's seeing, don't seem cause any problems or damage.

Exhaust and intake will not mess up transmissions. No correlation between the two. That said, the factory intake is pretty efficient already if your only planning on doing a “chip”.

Exhaust options out of the box for gen 4 are slim. If you need a louder exhaust, find a shop that can cut and weld and bend pipe themselves.

Which brings me to the next point. Do not buy a plug and play chip. Do a search for MPT Tuning. Pick up a BDX tuner with a few of their custom tunes. Load up the 93 PRX, and you’ll forget you even wanted an exhaust or intake.

BP 09

Reaction score
Also if you go the tune route, basically any of the big tuner companies out there have a good reputation from a reliability stand point. If you keep up on your maintenance, there isn’t much data to support that tuning reduces reliability. Hell I’m convinced Ford screwed up the 10r80 tuning so bad that an aftermarket tune will actually help it last longer! GM and their 6l80 comes to mind. Factory tuning can make stock vehicles trash!

OP
OP
B

BetterDays36

Reaction score
I think I am going with K&N induction and charge pipe, Magnaflow exhaust and Powerstop g36 brakes. Not sure about tune route yet. I like the pug and play chip deal for tuning, but still not convinced what why to go.