Pickup owners: do you prefer towing with Expy or pickup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve only towed once in my life (22’ travel trailer), and it was with the Expedition.

Am thinking about doing it again, and am debating about doing it with the Expy or my Ram 1500 crew cab.

My thinking is that the Expy would be better since it is shorter by approximately 10 inches so will be more maneuverable (had a hard time getting the hang of backing up the trailer into campsites, and am worried it will be worse with a longer tow vehicle).

Which vehicle do you tow with?

bring_em_on

Reaction score
I've towed with both a regular expedtion and a crew cab Ram. The shorter wheelbase on the Expy does make backing a boat (on a 26ft trailer) down the ramp a lot simpler. I can back my trailer up and park it on a dime with my expy. With that said, it wasn't impossilbe with the Ram, either. Just needed to make sure I gave myself a few extra feet at the beginning.

ib_jigged

Reaction score
I have towed with both my Expedition and my F150 crew cab with 6.5' bed. The longer wheelbase is way more stable on the road than a shorter wheel base. When towing I usually go with the truck. Also LT tires will have a stiffer sidewall and will help to reduce the trailer sway as well.

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While a shorter wheelbase will help with backing maneuverability, a longer wheelbase helps with stability going down the road.

I have towed with both, but to be honest my 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton towing has been either a 5th wheel or gooseneck so the comparison isn't apples to apples. Overall, I am very pleased with the towing with our Navi.

Last edited:

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Overall a pickup is a better tow vehicle due to its longer wheel base. Makes for a much more stable ride. That being said, with only a 22' trailer I doubt it would make much difference.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've towed a 38' bumper pull travel trailer with our Powerstroke F350 a few times. I honestly can't imagine trying to tow it with our Expy. The truck has a longer wheel base and weighs 3000 lbs more than the Expy and still gets pushed around a bit by the trailer when it's windy.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This one is really going to depend on the details. What’s the payload of your truck, which engine and where will you be towing? Some of the 1/2 ton trucks have shockingly low payloads (1200lbs and less). If you have one of those, use the Expedition. If you’re going to be towing at speed and elevation, use the Expedition for the turbo which doesn’t lose power at altitude…

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a 7500 lb boat with the Expy Max and my Ram 1500. It's kind of a toss up for me. The Ram does feel a little more stable on the highway and the air suspension makes for a comfortable ride, but with the suspension mods on the Expy it's pretty close these days.

The Ecoboost has more grunt down low for sure. Mileage is almost exactly the same (poor, at around 8.5 MPG).

The Ram wins due to the 33 gallon fuel tank. Expy really needs to improve in that area.

BLUWAGN

Reaction score
Lots of Ram 1500s and Expys in here, I have the same and have towed with both. I took the Expedition with 2 side by sides on a 20 open trailer to the Black Hills last month and it was more enjoyable than with my pickup for that load. Quiet, plenty of power, and great ride. I don't know if I'd pull my 29' enclosed aluminum snowmobile on the same trip in the winter without the pickup though, stability with the crew/6.5' box + 10 plys makes a huge difference with a longer trailer.

Attachments

• Snapchat-644857706.jpg
    Snapchat-644857706.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 10

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't done it myself, but my neighbor has a trailer similar in size to mine (30ft, 7k lbs). He just upgraded from a Ram to an F250 diesel. He said the Ram had a really hard time with the camper and was constantly revving and shifting. He also said the fuel tank on the Ram was too small. We're in the Houston area, so it's fairly flat. I haven't had these issues with my Expedition and chalk it up to the turbos.