Piece of junk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree, but just get it fixed. My salesman lives in my town and he runs my stuff in for me to get repaired on his way to work, so I'm kinda lucky there....

Michael Lucas

Reaction score
While I agree to a point that when you spend 60K+ you'd expect a certain level of quality, one must remember that much of the difference between that and an 18K vehicle is the amount of complicated technology involved. That stuff costs money and not all the $ is buying you quality. In large part, you're buying gadgets, bells and whistles and convenience. More stuff means more $ in and of itself.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm scared to see what the repair bills will be on these electronic nightmares when they are 15 years old!

JP Dye

Reaction score
I understand both sides but here is my take. I own a 2018 Limited. Most troublesome car I have even imagined. I live 1-1/2 hours from the closest Ford dealership. So taking the car in for warranty work is a ordeal. When I do break down and try to get something repaired under warranty the response is "could not duplicate customer complaint". These 4th Gen Expeditions are glitChy like a bad cell phone. In my experience the techs at dealerships are not qualified to work on such things. Like I say would you let them work on your spaceship? And I agree with the post that questions the cost of the 4 Gen. For that kind of money I expected much more. To the guy that wants to trade his 2008, better watch what you wish for. My 2008 had 317000 miles I miss it so.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm amazed that people come here to complain before they take it in for repairs under their warranty.

The warranty is there for a reason, use it!

I bought a new 2015 Expedtion Limited 4x4. At about 6,*** miles, the RF shock began leaking (strictly passenger use). This was one of numerous warranty repair problems.

My Ford dealer ordered the shock when I took it in for repair under the warranty - but the shock was on national back-order, and took more than a month to arrive at the dealership.

I felt the same way as the OP.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While I totally understand that "could not duplicate customer complaint" is hard to hear it is a fact of life. I deal with this in my line of work, customer complains about an issue with out controls but when we send guys out to resolve issues the issue isn't present and we can't do anything about it. As soon as we see the issue we can resolve it. Without being able to see the issue you are just throwing parts at it hoping something sticks. Then you are pissed because you have to keep taking it in to get a new part thrown at it and you think they are incompetent. Videos, pictures, and error codes are extremely helpful.

If the vehicle is having the issue and you can get into the dealer don't turn it off and run in and grab the service manager to come look at it and SHOW him the issue.

Its always frustrating to have issues with new ANYTHING, especially expensive cars. I totally get that feeling but EVERY brand out there has issues. If they say they don't they are lying. Just wait for the self driving cars, that will have some AWESOME service issues. Due to safety, if one sensor is acting up the whole car will shut down and not run.

All the OP's issues seem relatively minor so hopefully the dealer can get them resolved quick.

My 2019 with 10k miles has a blown strut, crappy and unacceptable but for me having the dealer fix it is more hassle than I want so I will replace them myself and upgrade. I acknowledge that is not the route for everyone.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While I totally understand that "could not duplicate customer complaint" is hard to hear it is a fact of life. I deal with this in my line of work, customer complains about an issue with out controls but when we send guys out to resolve issues the issue isn't present and we can't do anything about it. As soon as we see the issue we can resolve it. Without being able to see the issue you are just throwing parts at it hoping something sticks. Then you are pissed because you have to keep taking it in to get a new part thrown at it and you think they are incompetent. Videos, pictures, and error codes are extremely helpful.

If the vehicle is having the issue and you can get into the dealer don't turn it off and run in and grab the service manager to come look at it and SHOW him the issue.

Its always frustrating to have issues with new ANYTHING, especially expensive cars. I totally get that feeling but EVERY brand out there has issues. If they say they don't they are lying. Just wait for the self driving cars, that will have some AWESOME service issues. Due to safety, if one sensor is acting up the whole car will shut down and not run.

All the OP's issues seem relatively minor so hopefully the dealer can get them resolved quick.

My 2019 with 10k miles has a blown strut, crappy and unacceptable but for me having the dealer fix it is more hassle than I want so I will replace them myself and upgrade. I acknowledge that is not the route for everyone.

While under the base warranty, my power tilt steering wheel would intermittently stop working (the telescoping feature always worked). I spoke to the service advisor and he said wait until it stopped working, and bring it in. Intermittently, the dash would display “no key detected” after starting the vehicle and “trailer wiring fault”.

I took pictures of the DIC messages and took the vehicle to the dealership when the tilt function stopped working. The service advisor inspected it, opened a repair order and scheduled an appointment.

I used the night drop off system and left the vehicle for the next day. When I was notified it was ready and picked it up, the service department told me they were “unable to duplicate the problems” - although the service advisor had inspected the car, verified the problems, and opened the repair order.

I could not fix the problems myself, and they still occur randomly. It was very clear that the Ford dealership had no ability to trouble-shoot problems, and did not care about customer satisfaction (I bought the vehicle new and the Ford extended warranty from them).

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm amazed that people come here to complain before they take it in for repairs under their warranty.

The warranty is there for a reason, use it!

Should they only come here to complain after they’ve had the work done? Not sure what your point is.

The price of the repairs is a distant second to the hassle of having to bring your car in to the dealership in my opinion.

Lot of ‘protect the queen’ fanboy responses here... (edit: not just singling you out)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should they only come here to complain after they’ve had the work done? Not sure what your point is.

The price of the repairs is a distant second to the hassle of having to bring your car in to the dealership in my opinion.

Lot of ‘protect the queen’ fanboy responses here... (edit: not just singling you out)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the first Ford I have ever owned, so no fanboy here. But what do expect to be done when there is no issue present when they look at it? How do you diagnose a problem that doesn't exist when they are looking at it. Its just a fact of how it works, they can only fix what they can find. I would agree that trouble shooting is an art and most techs at dealers don't have that skill. Having to take a car in for any repair is a hassle and pain. Totally agree with that and as a result do most stuff myself.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni