Planning to buy 2020 Expedition

Which vehicle would you choose?

• 2020 Ford Expedition Limited

Votes: 23 85.2%
  • 2021 Chevy Tahoe Premier

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

Huy Nguyen

Reaction score
Thank you all replying, i will take the wife test drive this weekend in a Limited with CCD, hopefully we can come to agreement.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to work in shipping for Toyota. We looked for issues all the time and the smallest details got at least a look over. Most of what we let go we’re minor paint things the average Joe wouldn’t even notice.

on the expy all I found was a door not aligned properly, didn’t close all the way to be exact. Dealer fixed it at first oil change. i noticed several with poor door fit on lots while shopping. Must be a bad line at the Louisville plant.

get the hd tow package so you won’t be the next “how to beef this thing up for towing” poster. Read some of those if you want to see what you will face the minute you decide on a big trailer. The 3.73 gear matches the engine and trans perfectly. The other gears do not.

same with led headlights. Get them now or want them later.

look for a Special Edition package truck and it will have the tow pack, leds and ccd. I thought the regular suspension trucks rode good though.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is why not to buy.
Its always nice to see your 100k truck pictured on googles news feed. Smh

Screenshot_20200924-230434_Chrome.jpg

20200924_230355.jpg

Balikas

Reaction score
Here is why not to buy.
Its always nice to see your 100k truck pictured on googles news feed. Smh

View attachment 38279

View attachment 38280

Those articles are mostly just click bait, it is a good idea to read the article before quoting it.

Lincoln Navigator
The Lincoln Navigator is the brand’s full-size SUV and arguably its most popular model as it’s been in the lineup since 1998. And while it has gone through its share of changes and revisions, there have been some hiccups along the way. This isn’t too surprising considering the Navigator does have a lot of tech-savvy features that can have issues at some point.

According to Car Complaints, 2004 is the worst year for the Navigator, but the 2006 model year has the most complaints. Owners have cited bad spark plugs as the main complaint, although more serious issues like engine seizing and engine knocking have been noted as well.

The complaints about the navigator clearly are from a different model year. Now if you have problems with the current gen that you own I'm sure the thread poster would like to know, except I believe he was asking about the Expediton not the Navigator.

Same website has another article about this gen Navigator that might make you feel better.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-2020-lincoln-navigator-is-the-best-luxury-suv-made-in-america/

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally, i think regular oil change is the cheapest preventive maintenance you can do, so i change it every 5K miles with pennzoil Platinum 0-20w.

PP is good oil, but have you had an oil analysis done? Many 30 weight oils wind up 20 weight in these direct injection Ecoboost engines. I can't imagine that PP oil is maintaining its viscosity for the duration of the service interval. I think Ford even switched its recommended oil from 20 back to 30 for the 3.5 Ecoboost.

Matthew Abrams

Reaction score
I am less than 1 month in on a 2020 MAX Limited with 302A.
1.) Fit and Finish of Expedition? no complaints here as far as a domestic brand. Of course it could be better wrt the materials they use in some spots, but it certainly met my expectations
2.) Ride Compliance, Comfort when fully loaded (6 people with tons of craps). Exceeded expectations. We were coming from a 2017 Pacifica which was quite good and this thing is a night and day difference in comfort, handling, and ride.
3.) What are the commons issues with Expedition? Does Waterpump/timing chain inside the engine like the 3.5 on Explorer? In my research leading up to my purchase I was well informed of the potential issues, but in reality these are not a concern to me as I have a 7 yr bumper to bumper warranty.
4.) What features are the must have? Problems i should watch out for? for us, and why we went to this configuration, it was the 360 view camera and LED headlights. HD tow was already on this unit and I am glad it was after seeing all the other functionality that comes with it (plus better resale value)

Now seems to be a good time as we got a screaming good deal on ours. good luck!

OP
OP
H

Huy Nguyen

Reaction score
I am less than 1 month in on a 2020 MAX Limited with 302A.
1.) Fit and Finish of Expedition? no complaints here as far as a domestic brand. Of course it could be better wrt the materials they use in some spots, but it certainly met my expectations
2.) Ride Compliance, Comfort when fully loaded (6 people with tons of craps). Exceeded expectations. We were coming from a 2017 Pacifica which was quite good and this thing is a night and day difference in comfort, handling, and ride.
3.) What are the commons issues with Expedition? Does Waterpump/timing chain inside the engine like the 3.5 on Explorer? In my research leading up to my purchase I was well informed of the potential issues, but in reality these are not a concern to me as I have a 7 yr bumper to bumper warranty.
4.) What features are the must have? Problems i should watch out for? for us, and why we went to this configuration, it was the 360 view camera and LED headlights. HD tow was already on this unit and I am glad it was after seeing all the other functionality that comes with it (plus better resale value)

Now seems to be a good time as we got a screaming good deal on ours. good luck!

If you don't mind, please share the dealer that you bought it from. I am in the DMV area as well.
Thanks,

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am planning to buy a new SUV very soon. I am looking at either the new Chevy Tahoe Premier 4x4 or Expedition Limited. I am leaning toward the Expedition in term of pricing, but my wife is hesitate about getting Ford after bad experience with our current 14 Explorer XLT. I have a few questions that i would really appreciate if you guys/gals can help me out.

1.) Fit and Finish of Expedition? It's terrible on Explorer, uneven panel gaps, trims do not flush, etc...
2.) Ride Compliance, Comfort when fully loaded (6 people with tons of craps)
3.) What are the commons issues with Expedition? Does Waterpump/timing chain inside the engine like the 3.5 on Explorer?
4.) What features are the must have? Problems i should watch out for?

As far as 3, I moved from a Ecoboost V6 Explorer into the Expedition. From what I understand they water pump is NOT inside the engine on the RWD-based trucks (Expedition/F series), there's enough room in the engine bay for an external application, so that is not an issue. I think the other expensive fix on Explorers was the PTU and again, I don't think the power train is the same there either.

C_Matthews

Reaction score
Hey I'm also in the market for a full-size SUV and have sort of narrowed it down to the 2020 Expedition. We have a family of 5 and need a full size SUV to travel to see family, etc. Also like OP was between Expedition and Tahoe but have settled on Expedition because in the 2020 the 3rd row of Expedition seems light years better and 2021 Tahoe is significantly more compared to current rebates on Expedition and its first model year of new Tahoe so unsure.

My questions are for those that own this vehicle:

1. I'm looking at an XLT 2WD that is well equipped (has the 202A I think package- pana roof, 20" rims, captains chairs, cooled seats, etc.). Is it worth paying an additional $5k - $6k more for a Limited. Appears only additional features are the park assist, retractable running boards and real leather vs the Synthetic leather.

2. Time to buy? I've missed 0% for 72 and now for Sept '20 they have nice rebates off MSRP but they're tied to Ford financing at higher rates. I don't really need the vehicle until March (giving my current vehicle to my 15YO then) but was planning to buy before Christmas but I'm curious what anyone thinks Ford is likely to do incentive wise between now and the end of the year. I just can't see the prices going up between now and December with 2021 models coming by then.