Plastidip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Odimus

Reaction score
I'm looking at doing my rims with the plastidip and also the boat trailer rims...question though about the trailer rims...will there be a problem with water getting under the rubber coating and then rusting out over time???

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It should be fine. If water is behind the rubberized coating, it will probably peel the rubber away and you will see it bubbling. I had a little trouble with mine bubbling because I did mine when it was like 0 degrees out haha. Just peeled it off, and repainted them when it got warm again. I would say go ahead and do it, and in a few months peel it off of the rim and see if you are having rusting. I am sure it will be fine though.

QbanCgar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
as far as doing the wheels, did you'll take the wheels off & paint them or did you just paint 'em w/ the wheels on?

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there is a pic on here that shows someone using flashcards put between rim and tire

QbanCgar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks tall! ydopen i would buy wheels, but w/ 1 income in the house right now, i'm want to take the easy road...for now @ least!

Wint

Reaction score
How well would Plastidip hold up on rims? I've thought about taking my rims and having them coated but I wasn't sure how well it would hold up over time, or if there were better options out there (like bedliner material).

QbanCgar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not really sure how Plastidip would hold up on chrome rims, however i think on factory rims it might hold up a little better. but from reading from other users, they recommend applying 2-3 coats. i would normally would consider getting new black rims, over powdercoating, put it seems like PlastiDip is the poor man's route.

Soapman99

Reaction score
I 'dipped' my wheels on my other car last Thanksgiving and they still look good. I have even had a new set of tires installed since then. I would suggest 5 coats. You will use about 1 can per rim. Don't forget to do a couple coats on the back side.