PM on deployable running boards

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Y2KFirehawk, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Y2KFirehawk

Y2KFirehawk Member

Title says it all... Looked/searched in various places and came up empty-handed. Is there any sort of PM that could/should be done on the deployable/electronic running boards? While I'm relatively sure the underlying technology remained similar from the introduction of the option, I do have a 3rd gen. TIA!

2. Gary Waugh

Gary Waugh Full Access Members

I just had to replace the motor unit on the drivers side running board, and I can say that there is really nothing that can be serviced, the shaft coming out of he motor unit could be greased, but that is it, all the other pivot points have no grease nipples and cannot be dismantled to be greased so there really isn't anything to do. the motor unit could be opened and greased but you run a real risk of messing up the alignment of the sensors and then not have the steps open and retract correctly. I could not see anything that you could service..

Gary

3. Y2KFirehawk

Y2KFirehawk Member

Thanks for the quick reply, Gary. It was actually reading your thread that gave the thought to ask my question :)

4. Alberstadt

Alberstadt Member

How difficult is it to replace the motor? I just got a new motor for my 2012 Expedition EL running boards and want to know what I am up against. Anywhere I can find a video or step by step instructions?

5. John Christopher

John Christopher Full Access Members

I clean off the dirt and then spray all the pivot points with WD-40 every few months. The boards work smoother after spraying. You can hear the difference.

jluv likes this.
  6. jluv

jluv New Member

My F250 has AMP steps and I have to do this every couple of months, more often in snowy conditions or if I get them really dirty/muddy wheeling. I use a graphite lubricant. If I let them go too long they will stop retracting all the way. Clean and spray and they work as good as new.

I recently purchased a 3rd gen Expy with the automatic boards and will start doing the same.

John Christopher likes this.
  7. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

FWIW guys, I use Motorcycle chain lube for the running board gear. It sprays very thinly so the carrier fluid carries the lube into all the nooks and crannies before evaporating as designed, leaving the lube in place.

jeff