Poll about 5.4l V8 and mileage

5.4l V8 and mileage

• You are under 100k and have had major issues.

Votes: 44 8.3%
  • You are over 100k and have had no major issues.

Votes: 223 42.0%
  • You are over 150k miles.

Votes: 164 30.9%
  • You are over 200k miles.

Votes: 88 16.6%
  • You are over 300k miles.

Votes: 12 2.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badandy

Reaction score
'03 EB w/ 118K miles, owned it since 80K and have only replaced the batterry, tires, and brakes. Normal wear and tear items. It doesn't like to start on the first turn of the key but always starts after two or three trys. Mechanic said that's a Ford thing not to worry about it, second opinion said it could be fuel pump control module? wanted $900 to replace it. I don't have $900 laying around so I'm going w/ the first opinion.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1998 5.4 4x4 with 76k miles as of now. bought it last year with 63k on it.

had new shocks, brakes, starter when i bought it. it has spit a plug also right before i bought it.

all i have done is change the plugs, otherwise gas and oil changes..best $2500 truck i've ever bought! :)

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2 expeditions at over 120K
One's an 03 and Mine's a 97 both have had no engine work

front end on the 97 is GONE! that just happened friday... something up there is Effed.
97- Air to coil, new caliper, brake pads, slow freon leak (charge lasts me about 3-4 months) and a body lift lol.
It does have an engine miss but it never stalls and has no shortage of pulling power in the low end
03- New front rotors, brake pads, window regulators, has a massive AC leak when you turn on rear air (never turn it on and problem solved!)

Used to have a 98 with 250K on it then the bottom of the spark plug seperated or something like that and shot into the farthest back cylinder. My dad literally gave it away in 2005... broke my heart. Then he got another one haha

over all pretty reliable trucks, my next vehicle will not be an expedition, however it will be a ford!

Last edited:

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
100k with one spark blown. and cracked exhaust manifold. 12mpg city 14hwy with 35" tires, if i keep my foot out of it.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2003 5.4L, 154,000 miles

I get approximately 19 mpg with cruise set at 70. I hardly ever go faster than that. If I see a tractor trailer then I draft behind him, and even at speeds above 75 mph I'll easily get over 24 mpg while drafting. If I back away from the draft at that speed, the mpg drops way down to about 17 mpg.

I bought it last year with 135K miles. I've only replaced standard tune up items and 2 COP's. I'm in the middle of a possible tranny problem, not sure yet.

Explor2Exped

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.4L
239,***miles I think... I will edit that when I go check.

Had to replace rotors, front upper and lower ball joints, EGR valve & EGR pressure sensor.

Parking break still busted. (shops fault)

Last edited:

Blueoval76

Reaction score
I am at 260K but just bought it about 2 months ago from a 12 year owner and was told no major work done to it and was a fleet truck for the first two years. I am skeptical on that as my trans shifts like its tuned or something and I was told it has only been serviced many times. Fluid looks new in it. I know it is not tuned since I just did a Superchips tune today so not sure. Lol! It does need the cracked manifold replacement which is next on my list.

Last edited: