Positive battery terminal - almost broke..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandbuster

Reaction score
Today I was poking around the battery when I notice that the positive battery terminal (plate?) seemed very loose. A little closer exam revealed that the plate was separating from the terminal collar itself - If this breaks off all power is lost. So, at least as a temporary fix, I walked out to the back yard and retrieved a peace of SS plate and made up a little link that ties everything together. Yes, I know it's not going to win any beauty contests but it should last (maybe my lifetime?) or until I get an OEM part which likely is going to be pricey as, for whatever reason, Ford integrated one of the power feeds directly into the plate that is coming apart..

Terminal pic 001.jpg

Pos Bat Terminal 2.jpg

Soooo you just might want to take a quick check of this terminal plate as it may not be an isolated incident.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, Ford doesn't pull any punches when it comes to Rube Goldberg engineering. Your's will undoubtedly outlast theirs.
Maybe you should send Ford a photo for their upcoming TSB on the issue....

OP
OP
S

sandbuster

Reaction score
A LOT of years ago when I was a tech in a Ford dealer in California I hated the form they had on the last page of their TSBs so one day I'm talking to one of their engineers about a unique issue I was having on one of their minivans and I happened to mention how crappy the form was they were using - would you believe out of the kazillion engineers Ford employs I just happen to be speaking with the one who created that form! He asked me if I had anything better - when I told him I did he gave me an address to send it to for evaluation. By golly the next TSB they published had my exact form on it giving me credit for the design. Good enough for me..

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice field repair sandbuster. Not one of ford's better idea's. My '07 @ '09 do not have that battery connection terminal. But my wife's explorer does and have replaced it twice because of corrosion.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Today I was poking around the battery when I notice that the positive battery terminal (plate?) seemed very loose. A little closer exam revealed that the plate was separating from the terminal collar itself - If this breaks off all power is lost. So, at least as a temporary fix, I walked out to the back yard and retrieved a peace of SS plate and made up a little link that ties everything together. Yes, I know it's not going to win any beauty contests but it should last (maybe my lifetime?) or until I get an OEM part which likely is going to be pricey as, for whatever reason, Ford integrated one of the power feeds directly into the plate that is coming apart..

View attachment 76807

View attachment 76808

Soooo you just might want to take a quick check of this terminal plate as it may not be an isolated incident.

I had the same trouble since new with my 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4. About every 6-9 moths, I remove the connectors and clean them, then use a battery terminal pad and some terminal grease on the positive terminal and connector.

I suspect the the red rubber positive cable cover helps trap the battery acid fumes, accelerating the corrosion.

Bad design.

OP
OP
S

sandbuster

Reaction score
My fix is too ugly to send in. Thought using stainless was a good idea since I have an adequate supply - not so.. I went through 5 drill bits creating two holes - that is tough stuff to work with but as ugly as it is I suspect it will last as long as OEM. I ordered some interesting terminals from Amazon that may be even a better solution. I’ll post if I decide to redo it..

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Read through this post. Starting at 6 or 7 is the correct Ford part number and starting at 13 what needs to be done to replace the terminal. It is a slight PITA but straight forward. I've included a bunch of pictures. Any questions reach out to me.

OP
OP
S

sandbuster

Reaction score
Ok, thought I was okay with my "fix" but the more I thought about it the more I figured I could do just a little better - so I modified the "Rube Goldberg" mod into something I think looks a little better. If I remember I'll put a link at the bottom of this post for the kit I used. Here is the the new terminal I picked up off Amazon:

BM new 3.jpgBM new 2.jpg

Cut here: Round end as best you can then trim insulation to expose 1/2" wire

BM 1.jpgBM 2.jpg

Next post...

Attachments

• BM 3.jpg
    BM 3.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 16