Possible Rod Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02_5.4Ed.B

Reaction score
My 2000 Ford Expedition with the 5.4l V8 is making a weird lower end engine noise. At the bottom of this post there is a link to the video I made and uploaded to YouTube. It has a slight "diesel noise" at idle. The noise quiets down when I rev the engine up, almost to the point of being silent. The engine has made this sound since I got it over a month ago, and it has not gotten any louder. There is a pretty noticeable piston slap when the engine is cold, but that sound goes away once the engine starts to warm up.

The engine does have new oil in it. I did notice a metal shaving or two on the dipstick when I checked it last week, but i'm not sure if that is a big deal or not. I am really worried, so any help would be appreciated.
VIDEO- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmLNW8UV7VU

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds like every rod knock I've heard before. But usually the knock is more pronounced as the engine speeds up. Plus metal on the dipstick - not good. Tear it down and see how bad things are then make a decision on what your options are.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a diesel alright. Its better to resell it now while its still fresh and you haven't poured so much money into it. Major engine overhaul can be pretty costly.

OP
OP
02_5.4Ed.B

02_5.4Ed.B

Reaction score
I know I started this thread quite a while ago, but I wanted to make an update.

I had the truck on a lift and used a mechanic's stethoscope to listen to different parts of the engine. There was NO knocking sound heard from the oil pan. I also used the stethoscope on the exhaust pipe from the manifold to catalytic converter, and I could hear the knocking sound that is in the video (link in my original post). The metal shavings that I thought came off the dipstick ended up being dirt from the top of the dipstick.
Recently, I disconnected each of the ignition coils one by one while the engine was running, and the sound never went away. I've driven the vehicle for almost 5 months now, and the sound still hasn't gotten any louder.

The manifolds do leak, but the puffing sound that they make cannot be heard at idle. There is still piston slap when the engine is cold, but that goes away after it warms up.

Any ideas as to what might be causing the sound besides rod knock? It just doesn't seem like a rod knock to me, especially after I disconnected each ignition coil one by one, and the sound never changed.

Thanks.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You mention it goes away once warm - any chance there is an issue with the oil filter? Is all of that new? What are you using?

OP
OP
02_5.4Ed.B

02_5.4Ed.B

Reaction score
The oil filter is new, and I have been using Fram oil filters for the two oil changes I've done so far. I used conventional 5W-20 for the first oil change, and for the second oil change I used Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 5W-20 with a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. It had a NAPA oil filter on it when I got it. The piston slap clacking sound (probably worn rings) goes away when it warms up, but the weird diesel sound does not change at all based on temperature. No issues with oil pressure that I know of.

Hit By Thunder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmmm interesting. I have a heavy tick in mine from the top front passenger side that I am worried about. If you have run yours for 5 months with that noise mine will last along time.

how many miles on your expy? Could it be a catalytic coverter coming apart and rattling inside????? Just a guess

OP
OP
02_5.4Ed.B

02_5.4Ed.B

Reaction score
Hmmmm interesting. I have a heavy tick in mine from the top front passenger side that I am worried about. If you have run yours for 5 months with that noise mine will last along time.

how many miles on your expy? Could it be a catalytic coverter coming apart and rattling inside????? Just a guess
Mine has about 170,000 miles on it now. I've been thinking that the sound could be something rattling in the exhaust system, possibly the catalytic converter like you mentioned. Does the ticking noise on yours sound like valve train tapping noise or piston slap/clack? Does it do it when cold and warmed up?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk