Possible Rod Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
02_5.4Ed.B

02_5.4Ed.B

Reaction score
I have heard of issues with Fram filters in the past. Have you tried Motorcraft filter?
I haven't tried a Motorcraft filter yet, but I certainly will for the next oil change. The truck was making the same sound with the NAPA filter as well though. I went underneath the truck again with the engine running, and the sound really seems to be coming from the cylinder banks rather than the oil pan area, so I'm wondering if the engine may just have piston slap that is so severe, it never goes away completely after the engine warms up.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I currently own 2 expeditions a 98 with 185K miles and a 2000 with 246K miles. Both of them do the same thing when cold. I start them. wait for engine to warm up and the noise goes away.... almost. can still hear it if you listen for it. However, ive been told that its normal on these engines. I do not buy it. I do believe that if I am going to go to so much effort to find out what it is and correct it, I might as well replace the motor. then there is no guess work. However anyone has a cheep fix.

OP
OP
02_5.4Ed.B

02_5.4Ed.B

Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard the same thing from a lot of people about it being normal, but I've also heard a lot of these engines with high miles that don't make any noise at all. My engine does burn more oil than it should. Does the noise you are hearing when the engine is warm sound similar to the one in my video? Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmLNW8UV7VU.

jlo82585

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you know, I have been wondering about this sound for a long time now. my truck sounds identical and has ever since I bought it, I originally thought it was a exhaust leak until I replaced the mainfolds and the noise persisted. I noticed it gets louder when I use synthetic oil but its been making that noise now for 3 years and over 20k miles and a few long distance hauls to PCB so I guess I stopped worrying about it. It would be nice to know what it is though.

Last edited:

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The noise on the video is similar. however it stops once the trucks are warmed up. No burning of oil. no leaking of oil, no burning of water or leaking of water on both trucks. I also would like to know what it is. Probably piston slap at this point. I was told to prolong life of motor, let it warm up before driving it to insure oil is thru out the motor.

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i've had a mild idle knock (never traced it) for ~ 110k clicks (kilometers) from purchase @ ~ 380k to current 490k,

engine uses a bit of oil, otherwise all good

Last edited:
OP
OP
02_5.4Ed.B

02_5.4Ed.B

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the replies, it is much appreciated. I'm glad to hear that some other trucks are making the same sound, and aren't getting any worse either.

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might try 5/30 on an oil change one time. I know at least through 2000 they were suppose to have 5/30. Might be curious to see if it quiets down with a little thicker oil in it.

I also have a 2001 TA. Aluminum LS1 motor. Sounds like it has ball bearings bouncing around inside until it warms up.

OP
OP
02_5.4Ed.B

02_5.4Ed.B

Reaction score
You might try 5/30 on an oil change one time. I know at least through 2000 they were suppose to have 5/30. Might be curious to see if it quiets down with a little thicker oil in it.

I also have a 2001 TA. Aluminum LS1 motor. Sounds like it has ball bearings bouncing around inside until it warms up.

I used synthetic 5W20 and about a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer for the last oil change. The Lucas oil stabilizer is very thick stuff. The sound quieted down only slightly, but the engine runs noticeably smoother with the Lucas additive. I'll definitely use a heavier weight oil like 5w30 for the next oil change. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hit By Thunder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has about 170,000 miles on it now. I've been thinking that the sound could be something rattling in the exhaust system, possibly the catalytic converter like you mentioned. Does the ticking noise on yours sound like valve train tapping noise or piston slap/clack? Does it do it when cold and warmed up?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

ya, mine sounds like it is valvetrain but stickingyour head in the fender area above the tire, it seems louder there. Its quiet when first started for about 10-15 seconds then its loud, when it warms up it is quieter. I am running 15w40 this oil change to see if there is any change in sound, there doesn't seem to be any difference. I have about 600km on this oil change. My expy burns no oil and the tail pipe has a nice white chalky consistency inside, no oily residue

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1