Possibly buying, need some advice on price and other info (pics inside)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChopperMan

Reaction score
Hello all, great forum you have here. I have been looking for a newer SUV for the family and stumbled upon this Expedition (2002):

Expi1.jpg

Expi2.jpg

Expi3.jpg

Expi4.jpg

It's on a car lot and their asking price is $11,995
It has 84K miles and has the 5.4L Automatic.

Options:
• Air Conditioning
• Rear Air
• Power Steering
• Power Windows
• Power Door Locks
• Tilt Wheel
• Cruise Control
• Am/Fm Stereo
• Multi Compact Disc
• Premium Sound
• Dual Front Air Bags
• Abs (4-Wheel)
• Leather
• Power Seat
• Third Seat
• Roof Rack
• Privacy Glass
• Towing Pkg
• Xlt
• Premium Wheels
• Wide Tires

So I just want some advice, does this sound like a reasonable price? The tire size worries me a bit. As good as it looks, I'm afraid the mileage would be terrible. The sales guy said that they aren't that big (I guessed they were 36's). The side view makes me think maybe they could be 35's but on stock gearing, my mileage and acceleration could still suffer. Also, not so sure about the wife and kids getting up inside that thing. I have yet to see it in person, I hope to Monday when they are done going over it. I just wanted to be armed with some expert advice on the price. KBB looks to be around 10K, but obviousely the rims, tires, and lift drive the price up a bit. ANy pointers on what else to look for when I go see it?

Also, I am upgrading from my Broncos (I have a '93 and an '87) as a tow vehicle. I am only pulling around 3500K lbs which is well within its range, but the Broncos hurt going up hills. Any opinions on tow capabilities over mountains?

Any other opinions?

Thanks!

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
You'll def. be needing steps, or running boards for the wife and kids. Looks nice. Not sure on pricing in the US. Sounds about right for around where I live with the lift, rims and tires. . Probably cheaper to buy it all lifted and tricked out than doing it all from scratch like a lot of us did. Between lift, tires and rims, your looking at anywhere from $2000 to $3000 and up.

I'd rock it.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like a nice vehicle. With the wife and kids, I would think it sits a bit high, esp if the kids are young.
As far as the price, I think it is a bit high. I would check edmunds.com and look at prices for your area (just input your zip code) to see if it is reasonable.
The 5.4 will easily pull 3500 lbs. I tow a 6000 lb boat/trailer combo and have no problems. It was a little bogged down going up steep grades in the mountains over a 1200 mile trip from SC to Wisconsin, but held it own fairly well. I do have the 3v engine, but the 2v is just as capable.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from what I see looking at pics is fabtech 6" suspension lift about 2500$ not installed..... 3" body lift (looks like it due to shiny fender wells looks like gap guards) about 250$..... looks like 35s on 20" rims about 2000$ and fender flairs about 500$.... so roughly 5 grand in toys in it already.... (guessing prices in my head from experience)

mines a 99 EB but have almost identical truck but I also have 2" coil spacer and torsion twist and 37s.... so your gonna average about 8.5-9.5 mpg that is what I am averaging with a true dual exhaust with 2 cats deleted and a KN and throttle body spacer(however little that helps) so on a full tank I get roughly 260-290 miles depending..... but gears would help I'm gonna put in 4.56 or 4.88 cant remember price but figure between 1000-1500 (again rough guess)

for power it lacks bad without gears can go were I need it to offroading but never towed anything but I can only imagine since truck is a dog already....

as for wife and kids.... my wifes 5ft 3 and I have a 2 y/o.... I had to put steps on it for her I could get in no problems but it would be a pain in the @$$ to put my daughter in without them (in the middle) but I drive mine as a daily driver and deal with it 3 lifted truck I've had....

it is a pretty truck I love the 20's but go over the little stuff check the front suspension.... with the 6" fabtech is an amazing lift best one (in my opinion)but it puts a lot more stress on everything I just replaced all 4 ball joints and a wheel bearing and I just hit 82K.... also if u test drive remember speedo will be off.... but price isn't too bad from a dealer when I bout mine already lifted with 72K i paid 6,700 but I stole it though lol

OP
OP
C

ChopperMan

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I am leaning towards continuing to look. My kids are all old enough where them getting inside I'm not worried about, its mainly gas milege and power. I understand the Expi isn't necessarily known for its gas mileage, but I need to get at least 13mpg which is what it had from the factory I believe.

If those 35's are gonna drop the mileage under 10 and sacrifice towing power, then I'll keep looking. Out of curosity, how many inches tall are the stock tires?

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from what I can find stock size was 265/70R17 which is a 31.6... so 35s depending on the brand are either hair bigger or smaller so about 4 inches...

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
not that i dont like lifted trucks. and it looks nice too ,but its the wife thing and kid thing. if one of them fall out of it(broken arm useully) youll never hear the end of it.
at least i would"nt. thats why she seldom drives it(its like driving a school bus)much.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Fall out? Close your doors when yer driving!!! Stops almost 90% of the falling out problem!!! :)

dgray69

Full Access Members
Reaction score
very nice ride, looked at one with simular set up in syracuse ny, it was also an 02, they want 13,599 and its got 98,000, so thats a heck of a deal, and like walnut said, those after market parts ad up fast, looks like the expensive part is done, if the front looks solid i would jump on it, and just for fun the school bus thing is my line, hehe, only off roading in a bus,

Last edited:

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I have ownd my Expy sence 02 my wife has been saying that school bus thing for that long(it must be a teacher thing) the falling out thing is when the truck is not moving
small kids want to do things on thier own so they jump the gun and well accidents happen