Power Fold mirrors -- how do they work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Wiped Cam

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, ladies and gentlemen--it appears that the 2011 and up memory-optioned Expys are possibly pre-wired for a lot of things you can get in the same MY fully-loaded Expedition. Attached is the memory address, and the corresponding values, that let your memory-optioned 2011 Expy give you access to power folding (might work for other 5.4 Expys, more on this uncertainty later in the post)

My XLT-P w/ memory is pre-wired from the factory for power folding and driver-side auto-dimming functions. I should also inform you guys that 2011 is the ONLY MY Expy that came with a full size driver-side auto-dimming mirror AKA zero glare due to the absence of a blind spot mirror up in the corner. These rare auto dimming driver-side mirrors can be ripped out of any 2011 KR or Limited. Rest assured that any other auto-dimming driver-side mirror from a 3rd gen will work just fine, because I'm using 2013 mirrors in my 2011.

I tried to probe my IDS girl for the info regarding DSM address and values on 2011 and other MYs, but she politely refused to divulge that info to me (basically wanted to get paid for doing it herself). I then used the diff command on my linux pc to quickly figure out what the DSM in a 2011 KR or a Limited had that my 2011 XLT-P didn't. The attachment shows the line, in Motorcraft As Built format, that turned out to be different. I couldn't perform the same function on higher model year Expys because the modules in those .ab files look waaay different from my 2011. I do have access to a 2014 XLT-P also, therefore, I might be able to experiment with the memory addresses in the coming months.

I'm not attaching any pics of my install, since it's the easiest possible job on a memory-optioned Expy. 100% plug and play, so there's nothing to learn from install pics.

dsm-pf.jpg

OP
OP
S

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Excellent info! Going to guess this is for 2011-14. There were lots of changes for 2015 and the DSM programming looks to be different. Also, I didn't know the higher-trim mirrors with auto-dim glass still had the blind spot inserts. For 2015-17 there was a BLIS option. Trucks with BLIS will have "full-size" glass. Those that are equipped with auto-dim but don't have BLIS should have blind spot inserts.

The Wiped Cam

Full Access Members
Reaction score
pf-2017-mo-only.jpg
Works on a memory-optioned 2017 XLT. A small disclaimer though: the guy whose truck I experimented on likes to mod his rides to the max. He even has a modified wife. This may not work on your memory-optioned XLT, but it won't hurt to try. I currently do not have access to the wiring diagram for 2015-2017 Exp to determine if the memory-optioned '17 XLT is even supposed to have pre-wiring for power-fold.

Excellent info! Going to guess this is for 2011-14. There were lots of changes for 2015 and the DSM programming looks to be different. Also, I didn't know the higher-trim mirrors with auto-dim glass still had the blind spot inserts. For 2015-17 there was a BLIS option. Trucks with BLIS will have "full-size" glass. Those that are equipped with auto-dim but don't have BLIS should have blind spot inserts.

Yea, the above posted value works 100% on a memory optioned 2011-2014 Expedition (just got to try that on the 2014 I mentioned earlier).

I forgot all bout the BLIS mirrors. What I know is that it's impossible to get the BLIS mirrors at a reasonable price on ebay. They may be super cheap to manufacture, but I guess the market segment they're in dictates the price. However, the full panel from 2011 Ltd, KR Expeditions and 2011 Navigators can be bought for ultra cheap prices if you sit on ebay everyday like a bum lol. Since the start of this thread, I have bought one full panel w/auto dimming for $32, and another full panel w/ auto dimming for $75. All three are being used on my Expeditions. The one with the blind spot insert (that came with the previously shown mirror assembly), though, is my lab rat. I gave it 12v for a microsecond to turn it yellowish permanently. It will find its use during long trips when the sun is shining from behind and reflecting into my eyes through the driver side mirror. It still auto dims at night though. See below:

IMG-20200114-152115.jpg

EDIT: corrected yet another "auto-fold" typo I made in this post. It's power-fold, not auto-fold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
RE: DSM code, that's good news! Thanks! :)

RE: Glass, looks like you fried the electrochromic coating pretty good. The voltage range is 0 to just under 1.5 volts to change the glass from clear to dark. That's why the connector on the back of the mirror says "1.5 V MAX."

PS As an alternative to getting a complete mirror with the BLIS option, you can also get a memory/power-fold/turn signal/auto-dim mirror and swap out the glass.

The Wiped Cam

Full Access Members
Reaction score
O yes, I know about the 1.4v limit. 12v shock was a trick someone down in Florida taught me in ~ 2003. The destroyed EC coating makes the sun easier on your eyes. LoL. I can personally guarantee you that the destroyed EC glass will keep on auto dimming for you for at least six years. I travel from the midwest to the DC/N.VA area via the toll roads a lot, and the go•••mn sun is always positioned to ruin the drive for me. I don't like wearing polaroid shades while driving for safety reasons. This yellow mirror still shows the surroundings clearly with me wearing my regular shades, minus the harsh sun.

I'll see if there's more useful stuff to be found in Forscan for pre-2015 trucks, and I'll post the findings in the Forscan subsection of this forum.

OP
OP
S

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's another question for those who have power-fold mirrors. Do they work from the switch even when the ignition is OFF?

That is what I'd expect since for decades electric mirrors have always been powered by a circuit that is live even when the ignition is off. I'm not 100% sure, but I think in some of the newer Ford vehicles you can't adjust your mirrors unless the ignition is first turned ON.

Eric Post

Reaction score
New guy here, have read this a couple times and still making sense of it all. Owner of a 2017 EL XLT with option 201b (most all power options for this year, make, model), but don't see if power folding mirrors can be added. Will be among the switch from installed mirrors to aftermarket extendable mirrors shortly and would like to include power fold, as well.

Thanks, Eric

OP
OP
S

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
201b is without memory seats, correct? In this case, you'll need to wire them through a relay (press and hold an aftermarket add-on switch for full manual control) or using a Ford or aftermarket module (push button and watch them fold/un-fold, might be able to use factory mirror switch for trucks with power-folding mirrors).

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
201b is without memory seats, correct? In this case, you'll need to wire them through a relay (press and hold an aftermarket add-on switch for full manual control) or using a Ford or aftermarket module (push button and watch them fold/un-fold, might be able to use factory mirror switch for trucks with power-folding mirrors).

or you can use the OEM PowerFold Switch with the powerfold relay like they had in the old Mirror Power Fold setup.

I'm still using this setup in my 07 F150 til this day.

NEW-OEM-Ford-F150-F250-Power-Fold-Side-_1.jpg

mirror-relay-module-83cz14n089a-jpg.33655

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes