Power lift gate with kick assist on 2021 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03Cobra

Reaction score
I have a 2021 XLT with the power lift gate but it seems I do not have the kick assist is that possible or is it just not working? How do you tell if you have it or not where should there be a sensor or some other tell tell sign you have it?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2021 XLT with the power lift gate but it seems I do not have the kick assist is that possible or is it just not working? How do you tell if you have it or not where should there be a sensor or some other tell tell sign you have it?

Check the vehicle window sticker.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if it did have it, you would hate it anyway - (that is unless you enjoy it not working when you need it to, and enjoy consistently gettin smacked on the head when you are loading anything heavy.)

if nothing happens when you try to trigger it, you’ve won. trust me. it’s for the best.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hate mine as well. Only opens when I am hooking up a trailer or loading bikes on a hitch mount rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2020 Window Sticker lists it as: LIFTGATE - HANDS-FREE

I love the option! Just don't do work around the rear of car with the key fob in your pocket. I have had a couple of times where the liftgate has opened by just stepping a foot under the rear bumper.

If you have it the point to swing your foot under the rear bumper is the outside edge, right or left side, of the panel you remove on the rear bumper to access the hitch....

Last edited:

buckwheat-phd

Reaction score
Mine knocked me over the other day when it went off unannounced. When I want it to go off, everyone in the parking lot laughs as I look like a spastic chicken. So bottom line like the others said, I'll unplug it lol

minichunks

Reaction score
You don’t want it. I unplugged mine.. worst option ever

I haven't looked under the back bumper, but is it obvious what needs to be unplugged? I hate the damn thing. Never opens when you want it to, and always opens when it can smash something(head, bike rack, other car, etc.)