Power Running Boards Acting Funny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I keep mine clean and spray Triflow on them. It seems to help. All brands are a bit finicky due to the safety pressures. It would be nice if they would let you override it to get them up or down when in a bind or for service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well took it to the car wash and made sure I sprayed the hinges down. They are all nice and clean. Boards worked normally after that until this morning when the driver side failed to deploy. Guess I will see if it keeps happening before taking it in.

Richard Nall

Reaction score
Our 2016 just started having the issue a couple of days ago. They are fully functional because they will go up and down like a yo-yo. They just do not always stay down when the down is open. I'll cleaning around the motors.

PapaGegs

Reaction score
Keeping the hinged parts clean and lubed has helped mine. It must be an issue, though, because I see other Expeditions with their running boards stuck in the down position.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's the best grease to use? White Lithium? Or would that attract too much dirt to stick?

What about dry lube like PTFE or graphite spray?

tommyboy

Reaction score
My issues started like that. I was able to spray some bike/chain lube (attracts lest dust) in there and they went back to working properly. A few months later the driver's side started acting up and I couldnt do anything to get them working properly again. It was move a little then make this horrible pulsing noise. I took it to the dealer and said the motors needed to be replaced on the drivers side and it was about a $1500 job. Luckily I purchased a repair contract with my credit union when I financed the Expy so I only had to pay the $100 deductible.

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
I see a repeating topic here. As in never ending.

might I suggest that you do a forum search on this topic? I think you’ll find a bevy of solutions and lower cost suggestion s on how to fix your problem.

The running boards do have issues. But that can be mitigated with lubrication and cheaper parts replacement.

Again, rather than transfer many of the same questions. Check the search and FAQ on this subject. You will find the solution your looking for. I promise.

OP
OP
F

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see a repeating topic here. As in never ending.

might I suggest that you do a forum search on this topic? I think you’ll find a bevy of solutions and lower cost suggestion s on how to fix your problem.

The running boards do have issues. But that can be mitigated with lubrication and cheaper parts replacement.

Again, rather than transfer many of the same questions. Check the search and FAQ on this subject. You will find the solution your looking for. I promise.
There wasn't much in the 4th Gen forum, and nothing specific to this issue. Also I don't own a 3rd Gen, so I didn't look there because older vehicles may have issues that don't necessarily relate to newer ones, either because of age or because of design. If you really wanted to be helpful, instead of just being a curmudgeon, you would put a link to this FAQ that supposedly exists and link other useful threads where this problem may have been discussed.

As always you are more than free to skip reading a thread if you think it is redundant or not interesting to you. Sorry that I wasted your time.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have experienced power running boards for the last 15+ years, regular cleaning and lube is critical to their performance. You guys up North have it even worse with your harsh winters. Some have turned them off in Winter to avoid the dreaded "fender burg" breakage, only to find them inoperable in the Spring. This solution seems to work effectively in the Northern climates:

KJ-Idaho

Reaction score
Hmm. Took mine to two different dealers for passenger side failure. Same symptoms as several of you describe. First dealer thoroughly cleaned and lubed the Assy. Next day same issue. Second dealer says known issue and ordered motor - to be replaced in two weeks