Power Running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First of all, I love my running boards. I drove a new EXPY with fixed ones and although they are low maintenance I like how the power ones come down a little further, and they are cool! Unfortunately cool wears off when it seems like after going down any muddy, dusty dirt road for extended time, they start acting up. I end up having to assist them with my foot or hand, power wash and lube them up again. I feel I'm either not using the right stuff or not getting in the right area with the lube. Are others battling this issue as well? Does anyone have the "Ford engineer advice" of where is the most important areas to lube up and what product seems to be the best protect to use. I have pretty much used everything out there with same results. Maybe I have to come to the conclusion the "cool" ones need to stay on paved roads. Fire Away!!!

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do note the "FX4" models, which are equipped for mild off-road use, have fixed steps. I tried and tried to find a Expedition FX4 but gave up, zero on the used market anywhere in Northern California for 6 months.

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you go down muddy dusty dirt roads extensively you are going to get crap on your power running board assemblies. The power boards are for the soccer moms and old farts.

Woodwolf

Reaction score
first time out in heavy, wet snow slush yesterday in Ontario. Coming home running boards would lower but not close anymore as safety stopped retracting due to slush build up. Looks like I have to disable them for the winter, not sure in retracted or closed position. I am, actually using them as an old man with bad knees. LOL,
but seriously, the back 2/3 of the boards should be designed with some kind of mesh or grate to prevent slush and mud to build up. I installed Weathertech mud flaps in the summer, anticipating winter problems, but they don't seem to be of any help

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you go down muddy dusty dirt roads extensively you are going to get crap on your power running board assemblies. The power boards are for the soccer moms and old farts.
Hey, I resemble that statement! But let’s put it into perspective. Without us old folks and soccer moms there would not be any SUVs

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 10 min. drive on a hilly winding gravel/dirt road to and from my house, and before this expedition I had 3 Navigators that had power running boards. The road gets muddy/snowy/icy. At least once a week I lower the running boards and hose out all the dirt/sludge/ect. from the hinges and motor (takes about 2 min.), and periodically spray thoroughly with silicone WD-40. The only time I've had any problems is when I got lazy with one of the Navigators and didn't do that regular cleaning.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The power boards are for the soccer moms and old farts.
Hey! I resemble that!

Anyway, I was also concerned having power running boards. I always wash them out when I wash/hose down the truck. I also put mud flaps on the front. All that seems to help. I did some research several years ago. What I found was some sources said DO NOT use WD-40 as it will actually attract dirt. Not sure if that's true, but I do think it holds some true based on where I've used it. Through research, I found and use "Dupont non-stick DRY film lubricant". It's a dry, non oily coating and repels dirt. I'm not saying it works, but I've never had an issue. My drivers side sometimes delays coming up, so maybe it's time for a good cleaning.

For those of you who deal with that white shit, I'd keep the boards up. I just don't think there's really much you can do about snow and slush build up.....other than move. My old Silverado with fixed boards and mud flap would get caked with stuff.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire