Power Running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did some research several years ago. What I found was some sources said DO NOT use WD-40 as it will actually attract dirt. Not sure if that's true, but I do think it holds some true based on where I've used it. Through research, I found and use "Dupont non-stick DRY film lubricant".
I've seen that said about WD-40; I use the silicone WD-40 and it doesn't appear to attract/retain dirt—and I drive thru lots of it, and mud as well. That DuPont dry film lubricant looks interesting though, I might give that a try.

Gmas15

Reaction score
There are some good videos out there that describe how to remedy. I'm in New England and mine seized up about two years in. I sprayed on a ton of deruster, then powewashed, then lubricated with liquid film, or something similar. Haven't had issues since - about a year and half later.

viper2017

Reaction score
Watch Fordtech Makaloco Channel on You tube and he has a procedure that I followed on my 2017 and haven't had any issues since with the power steps.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 10 min. drive on a hilly winding gravel/dirt road to and from my house, and before this expedition I had 3 Navigators that had power running boards. The road gets muddy/snowy/icy. At least once a week I lower the running boards and hose out all the dirt/sludge/ect. from the hinges and motor (takes about 2 min.), and periodically spray thoroughly with silicone WD-40. The only time I've had any problems is when I got lazy with one of the Navigators and didn't do that regular cleaning.
Anytime I know that I've mucked them up a lot, excessively and they didn't then get a highway speed heavy rain bath shortly thereafter, I deploy during a wash/rinse thoroughly (just a hose/no pressure washer) and then pick your poison for lube - don't be shy/liberally apply. No issues here aside from a failed deploy or three in the lifetime of mine. Knock on wood hasn't seemed to have happened since I've done this rinse/lube cycle more routinely as needed. FWIW, IMO, I see these as needing replaced if you like the convenience of them at some point (I'd think 8 years/winters they owe you nothing) just given the salt beating they take here in PA...

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm on my 4th Expedition, all with power running boards and lived in Vermont the entire time. Once in a while they'd get stuck and I had to provide a little manual help to get them up.

Not really a problem.

Nealg

Reaction score
Mine do the same thing (2013 Limited). Passenger side always works cuz its rarely used, but driver's side is slower always, and in winter they always go down, but even just cold will cause them to start retracting then give up and stay down. I do my best to keep them clean and liberally spray WD-40 on the pivot points, and so far I have not had to replace anything. I would be hesitant to leave them up all winter for fear it would be worse if they didn't get some exercise for extended periods.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Once they start acting up, it takes a bit of work to get them moving well again. I had to pressure wash, spray liberally all movement points with penetrating spray, use them for a few days, pressure wash again, spray with penetrating spray, etc. After a bit they started working reliably and then I washed them good again and sprayed them with a silicon lube. They have been working good for a bit now but winter is hitting now, so I suspect they will start getting gunked up a bit. I really think that these need to be cleaned well regularly and lubed regularly. Fluid film is not a popular thing in my area but I have wondered if that would be a good thing to do on these in the winter.

Interestingly enough, my issues started mid-late summer after just dusty road driving that didn't include much wet and muddy driving.

WD-40 isn't a good lubricant, its not super good at much of anything to be honest. Slightly better than nothing but not by much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire