Problem mounting spare with valve stem DOWN?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoinLV

Reaction score
I'm kinda compulsive about tires - too many flats, way off-road. Anyway, was checking tire pressures, and cursing the need to lower the spare to check. The dissimilar size is irritant enough. I flipped it - less excursion of the mounting cable; clutch seemed to work fine once seated.
Other than the (low) risk of rock breaking the valve stem, any other reason this is unacceptable?
Thanks in advance

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm kinda compulsive about tires - too many flats, way off-road. Anyway, was checking tire pressures, and cursing the need to lower the spare to check. The dissimilar size is irritant enough. I flipped it - less excursion of the mounting cable; clutch seemed to work fine once seated.
Other than the (low) risk of rock breaking the valve stem, any other reason this is unacceptable?
Thanks in advance

Good questions - my 2015 Expedition Limited is the same and is very irritating when I check the spare air pressure.

OP
OP
B

BoinLV

Reaction score
Yeah; I'd rather not buy an extension (which I use on my truck camper vehicle) - just another potential slow leak source...

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought an extension hose (Oatley 274038) for several vehicles. Easy top check pressure. I have never had an issue. Much better than infrequent tire pressure checking. I have used 1 on my Navigator for 6 months. The pressure holds very well.

OP
OP
B

BoinLV

Reaction score
Thanks, lobsenza. The Oatey looks more robust than extensions I've gotten in the past along with valve stem extensions. I'll probably get it.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought an extension hose (Oatley 274038) for several vehicles. Easy top check pressure. I have never had an issue. Much better than infrequent tire pressure checking. I have used 1 on my Navigator for 6 months. The pressure holds very well.
What extension did you use?

OP
OP
B

BoinLV

Reaction score
If you're asking me, not lobsenza, the extensions I had in the past had 90° elbow fittings. I think were from Wheel Masters.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're asking me, not lobsenza, the extensions I had in the past had 90° elbow fittings. I think were from Wheel Masters.
I see now it’s already listed in his comment... I miss the most obvious stuff sometimes, sorry.

Last edited:

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 3 of the Oakley hoses and no issues. I have been using some of them for a year. I check the spare tire pressure every month or 2.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I take it there is no tire pressure sensor on the spare tire on these? Have that on my jeep but the spare is a full size matching tire too. Having just owned jeeps for a long time now, I forgot that not all vehicles have full size matching spares.