Problems with the 3.5L Turbo Engines 2015-17???

Are you pissed that Ford never offered a light duty Diesel for the Expedition?

• Hell Yes!!!

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • It never bothered me.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • You should buy a 2015 Scion xB.

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 2008 Expedition EL King Ranch 4x4 and took it into a shop to get the AC fixed. Long story short, they destroyed my transmission and AAA looking to total the truck out due to the amount of damage they did during their "repair". UGH!

I see used 2015-2017 Expeditions for sale all over the place with 20k-30k miles... Is there a major problem with the twin turbo 3.5L engine that I haven't read about yet? Does it overheat while towing and warp the heads or something like the famous 6.0L did? (Personal experience with my 04 Excursion; turbo lag, turbo filling with carbon, leaky injectors, Ford buy back, etc) I have a '13 Taurus with the 3.5L n.a. and it seems it could use a motor balancing. I can feel the vibrations in my seat when it winds-up. I would have thought a better choice for the Expedition EL was the 3.7L w/turbos.

I drove a 2015 for a couple days and didn't notice any drive-train problems.

Any thoughts from current owners with a bunch of miles and towing boats & trailers in the mountains? Any troubles directly associated with the 3.5 that wouldn't have happened with a V8?

Thanks everyone,

Tom

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well bud, 60-some folks have read your post w/o comment..............I'd consider that a Statement.

I've got 74,300....no runs, no hits, no errors.....

Good luck!

jeff

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 2008 Expedition EL King Ranch 4x4 and took it into a shop to get the AC fixed. Long story short, they destroyed my transmission and AAA looking to total the truck out due to the amount of damage they did during their "repair". UGH!

I see used 2015-2017 Expeditions for sale all over the place with 20k-30k miles... Is there a major problem with the twin turbo 3.5L engine that I haven't read about yet? Does it overheat while towing and warp the heads or something like the famous 6.0L did? (Personal experience with my 04 Excursion; turbo lag, turbo filling with carbon, leaky injectors, Ford buy back, etc) I have a '13 Taurus with the 3.5L n.a. and it seems it could use a motor balancing. I can feel the vibrations in my seat when it winds-up. I would have thought a better choice for the Expedition EL was the 3.7L w/turbos.

I drove a 2015 for a couple days and didn't notice any drive-train problems.

Any thoughts from current owners with a bunch of miles and towing boats & trailers in the mountains? Any troubles directly associated with the 3.5 that wouldn't have happened with a V8?

Thanks everyone,

Tom

I have a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 - purchased new.

The engine is very smooth and powerful. Although it has the HD towing package, I have never towed or hauled heavy cargo.

When I changed the original spark plugs at 45,*** miles - they looked like they had 200,000 miles on them. Burnt and black - and I use top tier fuel. Most of my drives are longer distances, very little short trips or stop-and-go driving.

I’m curious - how does a repair shop destroy a transmission when doing a/c work?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good engine but you and your insurance are not liable if they screwed up your transmission. The shop has their own insurance and they should either cover it under their policy or fork up cash on their own to fix.

Totaling out a perfectly good truck for a tranny is dumb imo.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some research I did when looking into the 3.5 Ecoboost. Basically it is a motor designed to be a turbo vs the old days of slapping a turbo on a motor not designed for the application. It appears to be a good systems and from the following you will see some have driven it for over 200 & 300 hundred thousand miles with no issues. There is even an article discussing carbon build up and how the older turbo TDI motors had issues but the new ones like Ford's have no issue with it.

https://www.americantrucks.com/everything-about-the-ecoboost-f150.html

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/threads/300-000-miles-on-my-2011-eco-boost.28082/

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-a-ford-f-150-ecoboost-held-up-after-200-000-m-1790602670

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news...a-problem-with-direct-injection-engines-.html

OP
OP
TDGFordGuy

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
.....I’m curious - how does a repair shop destroy a transmission when doing a/c work?
Disclaimer: Other than not having the r134 Machine; I could have done all this work myself but I do not have the time anymore.

Long story:
Took it in to same shop 1 yr ago for AC not cold. They vacumed the system, recharged w/dye and said very small refridgerant leak at top left side of condensor. Didn't have more $,$$$ at the time so paid for recharge, AC worked great and finished out the summer. August 1st, 2019, AC stays warm at idle and around town, but ICE COLD on freeway. Take to same shop and tell them exactly that. Also note that electronic clutch fan qyickly cycles on-off-on-off at idle at 103° outside with AC running. AC Compressor NOT short cycling. They call a few hours later and say condensor still leaking refridgerant. I Authorize swap, they call back several hours later and say I need $170 water system pressure check and hydrocarbon test, they suspect blown head gaskets due to low water in reserve tank(it had been at that low level for over a year with no changes and no overheating when towing). At this point I'm pissed and start calling shops for 2nd opinion and see if they will accept my truck in pieces. Also call a pro mech friend and they confirm upsell tactic. So local Ford Dealer Service Mgr says to not authorize any additional work, let them put it back together and get it to ANY other reputable shop. I drive to my shop and confront the "service mgr" she can't answer technical questions, so she calls for 2 techs to gang up on me to pressure me to auth $170 test. After arguing with the 25 yr old with tattoos on his face and pennys in his ear lobes the owner shows up. Owner agrees with me, we identify calcium & little slow drips running down the seam where plastic end meets metal on the radiator. No chocolate milk oil or water, just dirty water. I said if the heads are blown, it's not effecting the truck, I'll drive it till it blows.(Already got 200k miles). I auth radiator swap since it's right there, 1 hr extra labor charge for radiator, great. Next morning they call say all done, AC blowing at 52°, I get pissed cause it's 10am and only 75° outside, AC NOT FIXED. Go to pickup truck and confront Service Mgr and owner together. Owner tries to give me the 30° less then ambient temp line, I say, but it was only 75° that morning. So finally he admits that they mis diagnosed the problem. It was the Power steering fluid leaking from the condensor, which I suspected based on 10+ youtube videos. So, $1,300 later AC STILL NOT FIXED. Owner offers a free full diagnosis next week on AC himself. Shake hands, take off & tell myself "never going back there".
Friday of Labor day weekend(same day picked up truck):
Loaded up the family headed about 10 miles up the freeway to run arrands. On way home on freeway at about 4pm truck looses power and starts reving up high and shift in & out of gears. Wrench symbol pops up in LCD display, can't get ahead of a semi now, have to pull over. Stop on side of freeway, turn truck off, back on, wrench gone. Put in gear, start to roll, seems all good, hit the gas when traffic clears and revs up to 3,000 and lerches forward like I was a ****** stick driver. Wrench and check engine light come on. Wife says, "those f-ing a-hole F-ed with our truck!". I want to agree, but Maybe something else failed, maybe a PCM plug not in all the way, etc? Truck is moving about 20mph so I slowly limp her the 2 miles to the house on back roads to avoid stopping instead of waiting for a tow on the friday afternoon on labor day weekend. Wife is 8 months preg and starting to have labor pains she is so stressed about it(separate story). Get into the driveway, step out on the running board & almost fall on my ass. Transmission oil EVERYWHERE. All over the truck, dripping from the door when I opened it, dripping from the rear bumper, dripping down the front grill & bumper. all over the sides and back of the truck from the windows down. Get kids in the house; remove the radiator covering, find upper Transmission hose off the radiator and spring clam about 3 inches down the hose. Never moved the clamp back into place at the shop. Call AAA and file a damage claim. Shop tows truck back and "cleans" it with pressure washer (no soap) and fills trans. Drive it the next day and it takes off from stop signs in 2nd or 3rd gears. Call AAA claim agent, says it's all covered and repairs will be under the policy warranty. They towed it to a AAA direct network shop on Friday, I go in today to talk to the mech with the details so they can ***** and build a quote for repairs, will also mention my wife LOVES this truck and we don't want it totaled out. Where you going to find an EL King Ranch 4x4 with CA smog? Body shop said probably needs a full repaint due to ATF hydrolic oil on it for a week in the sun. UGH!!!

My mech friend came over and noticed the power steering fluid smelled funny, yep, dark & cloudy and smells like standard power steering fluid. Fired truck up, did lock to lock turns power steering pump whining like crazy. A-holes put wrong fluid in, now it's mixed and already damaging the pump. Also noted ALL the push mounts in the wiring harness were either freshly cut out or broken off leaving the large loom hanging by its own weight at the front fuse box. UGH!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TDGFordGuy

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good engine but you and your insurance are not liable if they screwed up your transmission. The shop has their own insurance and they should either cover it under their policy or fork up cash on their own to fix.

Totaling out a perfectly good truck for a tranny is dumb imo.

AAA Covering it as Vandalism and Not-at-fault for me so no increase in rates. Also BofA said they did more damage than repairs, took the AAA claim number and they reversed the $1,300 charges. OH YA!!!!

Not so stupid, it served our family for over a year, 200k miles, front seats are shot $$$ to replace with richmondauto covers, AC still needs fixed $,$$$, has an exhaust leak at Pass header (broken bolts?)$,$$$, needs all new weather stripping $$$, has the paint bubbles on the rear hatch door $,$$$, starting to get the rattles & shakes on the freeway $,$$$; if they total it, the wife will be sad but we can find a newer one with more life left in it.

If they fix it; NEW PAINT & TRANSMISSION rebuilt under warranty!! Oh YA!!!

If they total it, anyone want it for parts? I'll work with you to buy it back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TDGFordGuy

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some research I did when looking into the 3.5 Ecoboost. Basically it is a motor designed to be a turbo vs the old days of slapping a turbo on a motor not designed for the application. It appears to be a good systems and from the following you will see some have driven it for over 200 & 300 hundred thousand miles with no issues. There is even an article discussing carbon build up and how the older turbo TDI motors had issues but the new ones like Ford's have no issue with it.

Thanks for the info and links... Though the 300k red truck must have been a Wednesday truck. LOL. Looks like Ford actually did their home work. I had a 2011 Mustang 3.7 and it was awesome! Enough power for the street and up to 40mpg cruising down CA's central valley on 99. Was ordered by a "family" (Slavery) court "judge" to either sell it or they would take it and give it to my ex during the divorce. It didn't matter that she had the brand new 2011 Explorer Limited and it left me with no vehicle... but I'll save that for a different forum.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I still think that Ford should bring back the Excursion every few years to make available a SuperDuty capable SUV for the market. Just make it Diesel and Expensive

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I still think that Ford should bring back the Excursion every few years to make available a SuperDuty capable SUV for the market. Just make it Diesel and Expensive
$80k for an Expy isn't expensive enough for you? I would love the other part of your idea though...