Project refresh - part 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK- need your input

• I've done an interior refresh
  • repainted front end
  • New headlights
  • Updated seats
  • New cat back exhaust (love the sound)
I have a set of fender flares from the junkyard that I've painted to match the body, but I seem to have problem bringing myself to drill the holes. So, I thought I'd ask your opinion:

Fender flares or no fender flares?

Should I remove the rub rails?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you talking about the Eddie Bauer flares?

Where do the holes need to be drilled? On mine, I can only see them in the wheel well area and not on the outside of the fender.

My thoughts: you live in TX where rust isn't a big deal. Treat the edges of the new holes with some paint. Install the flares.

OP
OP
eluther3

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Not really worried about the rust. Just worried that if I don't like the looks, I will have holes in the fender, so can't just take them back off.

Thought I'd take it to the court of public opinion to see how many of you prefer the flares

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well if you can get another pair of them cut off the mounting tabs and use some clear tape to hold them on to give your self an idea of what there going to look like on it,id love to have a set of tube steps like that but havent found any yet.those tail light guards would have to go if it were mine

CaperCanadian

Reaction score
If you remove the rub rails you wont want the flares on there. I have mine removed but have the flares from factory and really don't like the look of it. even painted them black to match and don't like them. Would love to remove them too but like you said I have about 10 holes under them each.

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You won't notice the holes in the fenders openings for the moldings. They are not visible unless you go looking for them - at least on the EB flares on my Expedition.

If you have the moldings already, mock it up with with some masking tape or something and see if you like the look.

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You won't notice the holes in the fenders openings for the moldings. They are not visible unless you go looking for them - at least on the EB flares on my Expedition.

If you have the moldings already, mock it up with with some masking tape or something and see if you like the look.
Are you talking about the Eddie Bauer flares?

Where do the holes need to be drilled? On mine, I can only see them in the wheel well area and not on the outside of the fender.

My thoughts: you live in TX where rust isn't a big deal. Treat the edges of the new holes with some paint. Install the flares.

pic is and f150 but thats what it looks like under the flares that what it looked like when i took mine off to clean and wax behind them

011600_132500.jpg