pros/cons: tires rating and rims sizes for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

radioslicer

Reaction score
I've read a lot of articles/opinions about what tires are "best" for towing. I'm now more confused than before. Hard to separate opinions/preferences/marketing from concerns and pros/cons consideration.
Can someone with experience give a general rundown on tires rating and rims sizes for towing?
Something like

* rim size (say 18" vs 22") is better/worse/has no effect on sway/handling...
* tire load rating (I see XL, LT, P, E thrown around) has the following effects...
* something else that I need to know...

I understand that everything is a tradeoff, but I don't understand what tradeoffs I'm making.

I have stock hankook dynapro ht 114H 22" (Expedition 2021), and am willing to change them to whatever - both rims and tires to get to the point where I can comfortably tow ~6000lb TT 10 times a year.
North California location and weather.
I have a separate set of 18" winter tires.

If this is too much to type - perhaps there are already articles like that with pros/cons of these choices?

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I upgraded my 20" toJ E because Ifelt the Dynapro was too mushy while towing. It was also very mushy at high speeds. I wanted more puncture resistance as well, so I had only to worry about flats in the camper, and not both the camper and truck.

The D and E tires are heavier, stiffer, and more puncture resistant. They ride slightly harsher, lower mpg (around 1 mpg I think), and reduce acceleration. They can also be noisier depending on the tread pattern. If you're asking then I assume you identified some deficiency with the current tires.

You may have America's Tire Company/Discount Tire Company. I think they'll let you try the tires out and exchange if dissatisfied for a nominal fee. I suggest doing that if it's an option.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tires with smaller sidewall sizes (larger wheel sizes) usually have smaller load ratings. I switched to 18in wheels and LT (E-rated) tires for peace of mind. I just air up to 55+psi when loaded, and go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker