Prospective Expedition Owner...What am I in for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dj2big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New dad here as well and we upgraded my wife's 2011 Escape to a 2018 Expedition MAX. Agreed, the Toyota interiors are so outdated and being 6'4" I didn't like the Tahoe/Yukon center console that curves inward to the dash. I found that the XLT FX4 was the best bang for our buck I could find. Leather h/c seats, safety upgrades, and 4x4 with eLSD 3.73. Other than the LED headlights and CCD, you are not missing much... even compared to Platinums/Navigators that dealers have listed at $80K+ and $90K+. That being said, I got $7500 off MSRP on the Expy and when I bought my 2013 F150 new in January of 2014 I got $12,500 off. Both times I walked in (different dealerships) and said this is what I am willing to pay for that vehicle. Don't let them try to sell you a lesser vehicle at that price and WALK out the door to the next Ford dealership if they do. It is certainly worth being patient and finding what you really like, and more importantly what you can afford! Congrats on the new kiddo and good luck!

PS We fill up our MAX with our son and our dog on an overnight trip. Third row gets folded flat for the travel crate and car seat is on the middle bench seat. The amount of stuff a 10 pound human needs is mind boggling.

This is the exact same reason I picked up the fx4 MAX skipped the Cadillac Escalade ESV SUBURBAN LT the Navi L Expedition Limited and platinum

Traded my 2017 Tahoe premier
I am happy
I didn’t get the safety upgrades had them in my Tahoe does not make a difference to me the only thing I wish now I should have gotten is the big glass roof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In answer to your question, and based on my 650 mile drive back from picking up my 2018 yesterday - absolute driving pleasure. Obviously real early in the affair, but my first impressions are BIGLY good. Quiet, smooth, nimble (amazing turning radius for such a large SUV), really comfortable, and loads of power.

I cruised at between 75-80 mph on I-25 and I-90, with AC on (works awesome) and ran the first tank until the low fuel light came on. They do so at 50 miles remaining (default setting that can be changed). Knowing what towns and distances were ahead, I rolled into Livingston, MT with 16 miles to empty. I like knowing how accurate (or not) a car's fuel gage is. In this cars case, dead accurate. The tank is 28.3 gallons and it topped off at 28.0 gallons. My calculated mpg was 20.6 (the onboard system said 21.1).

Yeah, I think you're going to love it.