Prospective Expedition Owner...What am I in for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1alembic

Reaction score
My only "special" negotiating was a private cash offer directly from Ford for $4k. I have no idea how or why I got it in the mail, but it was handy.
Otherwise, I used the Costco auto program. This pushed the dealer to start things from their end at invoice and also allow all rebates and incentives to be leveraged.
be326740ba241e7c4b3fa67c96164695.jpg
Dang - I need to find one of these. :)

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's a few turning points in my Denali XL vs Expedition Max limited comparison I went through before deciding on the Ford.
Yukon Denali 6.2L has no low end torque, it needs to rev to over 4,000 rpm before it makes power, so it feels like a turd in comparison to the grunty Ford that has power right off idle.
The Denali has an all steel body so it will rust really well in the northern climate and salt I live it, the ford is Aluminum that doesn't rust.
The Denali is STILLLLLLL running a solid rear axle rear suspension which is technology from the 1960's, whereas the Ford is running an independent rear suspension so it rides far superior.
The Denali is getting re-designed for next year or the year after, so if you buy a new one now, yours will soon be the old one, whereas the Ford is completely redesigned freshly last year.
The 3rd row seating the in the Ford comfortably seats adults and the 3rd row seat in the Denali XL can barely fit a young child in the seats comfortably. Horrible 3rd row in the GM's.

Thats all I needed. I bought my 302A Limited for $16K under list, so I think it was a no brainer to go new when the used ones were selling for close to that at the time! :).

Thats my thoughts.........

Some quick clarifications:

-Denali 0-60 is identical to expy platinum. So not sure about the torque comment. Would have to see a torque curve comparison
-my 2016 has 50k+ miles and goes to the ski areas every weekend. No rust yet.
-3rd row is prefect for kids including my teen and friends). Not great for adults
-room behind third row is greater in the Denali

Davew72

Reaction score
I have to agree brother,we bought ours for $15000 off sticker price, and we love the vehicle. Weve already had a couple of road trips, and it rides wonderfully with space for days and plenty of power, I mean I love the 3.5 EcoBoost and all the technology and options. We could not be happier with the 2019 Expedition.

Davew72

Reaction score
Some quick clarifications:

-Denali 0-60 is identical to expy platinum. So not sure about the torque comment. Would have to see a torque curve comparison
-my 2016 has 50k+ miles and goes to the ski areas every weekend. No rust yet.
-3rd row is prefect for kids including my teen and friends). Not great for adults
-room behind third row is greater in the Denali

We traded off a Denali, it just didnt compare with the Expedition, and Ive always been a bit partial to GM suv's especially, but the Expedition is in a class of its own.

Davew72

Reaction score
I haven't really looked at anything else since posting. I've done a lot of research on forums, pricing, etc. I've priced used 18 and 19 Expeditions through various sites including Manheim Auction. If I can get my hands on a slightly used Exp that may be the way to go. I hate that currently GM and Toyota are in the midst of a major redesign for their large vehicles i.e. Sequoia, Tahoe, Yukon. As someone already mentioned, the Exp doesn't have a lot of competition right now. That being said, I hate to drop $65-$70k on a new Exp and enjoy it for a year or so and then see Toyota or GM come out with an awesome new SUV that we want. The depreciation on the Exp is pretty big, another reason why I am leaning towards used.

Just bought a new one for well under $50

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We traded off a Denali, it just didnt compare with the Expedition, and Ive always been a bit partial to GM suv's especially, but the Expedition is in a class of its own.

I hope so. It’s 4 years newer than the current yukon/Tahoe.

Stinks that it doesn’t have a V8 and the room behind the 3rd row is so small. Will be interesting to see if the 2020/1 yukon/Denali loses room back there to with the suspension change.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you saying the swb or max doesnt have room behind tg2e 3rd row. The tahoe yukon armada and almost every crossover has less rm behind third row than the swb expy. The sub has slightly more room behind third row length wise but load floors higher. Also, 4th gen has more third room than 3rd gen expy and almost every 7+ seater not in the minivan class. Its crazy ppl say expy doesnt have "..." Room like theres better options for said room.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you saying the swb or max doesnt have room behind tg2e 3rd row. The tahoe yukon armada and almost every crossover has less rm behind third row than the swb expy. The sub has slightly more room behind third row length wise but load floors higher. Also, 4th gen has more third room than 3rd gen expy and almost every 7+ seater not in the minivan class. Its crazy ppl say expy doesnt have "..." Room like theres better options for said room.

Lwb

Never said there was necessarily a better option. Just pointing out a fact that was overlooked

Haven’t seen the specs yet for the new GM’s rolling out in a few months so not sure what that will look like with the IRS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mustangsally

Reaction score
My wife and I test drove everything out there the same day. Since it was going to be driven by her most of the time I wanted her to make up her own mind. She really had her mind set on a higher end Tahoe or Yukon Denali. We also test drove the Q80 Infiniti and the big Toyota. The Expedition was in a class of it own and that is what she went with. She loves it and not 1 ***** yet! The dealer we bought it from owns a Chevy dealership also and the owners now drive Expeditions instead of Tahoes.

REG1

Reaction score
I was in the same buying proposition as you just over the summer. I compared pros and cons between buying a midsize SUV and a full size SUV. Given the prices, we originally planned on buying a used vehicle if we did go full size. However, with all the rebates and incentives on the XLT's, the price I was able to get on a new vehicle, was not much greater than the used 2018 Expy prices. Though I travelled to find the best deal on an XLT with the colors and options I preferred (HD tow, 202 pkg, driver assist, etc), there are great deals to be had. The MSRP on my vehicle was 68,065. I paid 51,720. For used 2018's with less than 30,000, I found prices on XLT's with the 202 pkg ranged from 42,000 to 49,000. 2018 Limited's ranged around the low 50k's. Good luck with your purchase.