Pull behind camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do you want to know? I used to tow a 33' TT with a GVWR of 7600 pounds with my 2003 Expedition 5.4 4x4 without any issues.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pull a 6200 pound GVWR trailer, 29ft bumper to tongue with my 17 expedition EL with HD tow package. Plenty of power in the mountains, on the highway can't even tell its back there. Mpg wise towing, expect 7-9mpg. You can have the eco, or the boost, but not both :)

OP
OP
M

Mikefromco

Reaction score
I pull a 6200 pound GVWR trailer, 29ft bumper to tongue with my 17 expedition EL with HD tow package. Plenty of power in the mountains, on the highway can't even tell its back there. Mpg wise towing, expect 7-9mpg. You can have the eco, or the boost, but not both :)

This is what I was looking for. I am currently looking at a 32ft toyhauler that weighs about 5500 dry and curious how far people have pushed

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is what I was looking for. I am currently looking at a 32ft toyhauler that weighs about 5500 dry and curious how far people have pushed

Payload is the usually the limit with travel trailers, not the maximum tow rating.

OP
OP
M

Mikefromco

Reaction score
Payload is the usually the limit with travel trailers, not the maximum tow rating.

Pardon my ignorance, but can you explain what you mean?
I’m just trying to see what people have been able to pull without any issues. In my experience, manufacturers ratings vs reality are different most of the time.

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2017 SWB Expy with HD tow package and tow a 2018 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH. Due to payload capacity, most of the time, my wife will drive our second kid, dog, and assorted other stuff in her Forester. I have a payload of just under 1,400#s and ASSUME I have a tongue weight around 800#s (based on other folks with the same trailer). I use an E4. I get pushed around by semi's, but not sway. I don't like driving more than 3 hours away and I don't go faster than 62-64 mph. I tend to get about 8.5 - 9.5 mpg.
20181018_161717.jpg

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but can you explain what you mean?
I’m just trying to see what people have been able to pull without any issues. In my experience, manufacturers ratings vs reality are different most of the time.

Depends on what you mean by issues. The Ecoboost doesn't have any issues with power. But the suspension is soft and the payload is usually around 1,350 - 1,550 lbs depending on trim and options. The payload is how much weight you can place on the vehicle suspension after subtracting the vehicle weight from the gross weight rating (GVWR). If you pull a 9,000 lb trailer, at least 900 lbs should be on the vehicle suspension, plus 100 lbs for the weight distribution hitch. That leaves around 400lbs for everything else going in the vehicle including passengers. So you can't tow a heavy trailer and load the vehicle up with passengers and personal items as well. You have to choose. Once the trailer gets much over 7,000 lbs, the available payload is substantially diminished.

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2017 SWB Expy with HD tow package and tow a 2018 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH. Due to payload capacity, most of the time, my wife will drive our second kid, dog, and assorted other stuff in her Forester. I have a payload of just under 1,400#s and ASSUME I have a tongue weight around 800#s (based on other folks with the same trailer).

You can get your actual tongue weight using a tongue weight scale. It won't tell you the total trailer weight though. That would require a visit to a truck scale.

https://tinyurl.com/y7s5u6e3

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get your actual tongue weight using a tongue weight scale. It won't tell you the total trailer weight though. That would require a visit to a truck scale.

https://tinyurl.com/y7s5u6e3

Jason, agreed, that scale is a great tool for getting a true weight on the tongue. I am good with my ASSUMPTION, since I have seen other Imagine 2400BH tongue weights in other threads and it makes it easier to justify my wife driving separately and later to the camp site. We avoid spouse "helping" when backing the trailer into our site and save our marriage.