Pulling the motor!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silver Ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, Silver Ex is in the shop for the motor noise I've been getting since about 2 weeks after I bought it. My mechanic's motor guy suspects main bearings, so they pulled the 5.4 today to start the teardown. Hopefully, since I have a powertrain warranty, all it will cost me in the end will be my $100 deductable and the cost of the fluids. Everyone keep your fingers crossed...this is the first time in almost 30 years of owning vehicles that I've had to have a motor torn down for repairs this extensive.

cappy

Reaction score
Was it a ticking Noise like the lifters or Valve chatter? If so Let me know mines doing the same thing.

OP
OP
Silver Ex

Silver Ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It actually sounded like a muffled diesel...that's probably the best way to describe it. And it is constant, too. I spoke w/my mechanic today and the motor was out...he'll be tearing into it tomorrow. Needless to say, I'm a little on edge hoping that the warranty company will cover all the repairs. I'll keep you posted.

OP
OP
Silver Ex

Silver Ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, the news isn't great. The minimum is the crank and the main bearings need to be replaced. Only problem is that my warranty expired 11/3 at midnight, so the warranty company would pay to do the crank replacement, but would warranty nothing else after that. The mechanic says that there is other wear that indicates the motor could give me more problems, possibly within the next year. I'm having the mechanic look for another motor. The warranty co. will either pay to replace the crank and mains or give me $1750.00 towards replacing the current motor. I'll know more on Monday. Maybe a low-mileage motor out of a wreck will be the answer...we'll see.

If the rest of the truck wasn't so solid and in such great shape, I'd consider buttoning it up with the noisy motor and trading it. But I like it, so I'm not going to bail just yet.

What caused the damage? The mechanic said that the internals of the motor and the inside of the pan were way too clean for a 80K vehicle. He said that he's seen this before. Someone had used a motor flush. The crap that was dislodged inside scored the bearings and other internal surfaces. When I changed the oil for the first time, the noise started. There was no noise before that, so the oil that was in the vehicle when I bought it was probably heavier to quiet the motor. Maybe even the old 90W gear oil trick. That's why he recommends a "transplant". There could be other problems on the horizon and it could run into lots more bucks. Like I said, I'm going to see what he can find in the way of a replacement powerplant and go from there.

Overall, this sucks...I just want my Ex back! :(

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to your post, your car went into the shop on 10-31-05. Your car was still in the sho until 11-05-05 and your warranty expired 11-03-05?

Why can't you argue with your warranty company that the damage occurred on 10-31-05 (before the warranty expired) and was diagnosed on 11-05-05.

Is this a Ford extended warranty, because if it is, I'm looking somewhere else for an extended warranty.

OP
OP
Silver Ex

Silver Ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by Keydo
According to your post, your car went into the shop on 10-31-05. Your car was still in the sho until 11-05-05 and your warranty expired 11-03-05?

Why can't you argue with your warranty company that the damage occurred on 10-31-05 (before the warranty expired) and was diagnosed on 11-05-05.

Is this a Ford extended warranty, because if it is, I'm looking somewhere else for an extended warranty.

Here's how it worked out.

The damage to the crank and the mains is covered. After the mechanic dug deeper into the motor, the only other problem he saw was the timing chains, gears and tensioners needed to be replaced. I guess some of that is actually plastic! Anyway, the bottom end will be brand new, the timing chains, etc. will be new, and the rest of the motor is solid. No oil burning, good oil pressure and good compression. He's replacing exhaust manifold gaskets, too. So the motor should be good to go. I'm supposed to get it back early next week. Good thing...the forecast here in Northern Indiana calls for snow starting Tuesday and lasting through Saturday.

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But is it still being covered by the warranty? I guess that's my main question. it would be really bad to have your warranty run out while the car is in the shop and you warranty company says it will not cover any other repairs AFTER the warranty period (even though your car went into the shop while it was still covered).

OP
OP
Silver Ex

Silver Ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm on my own after I get it back. That's why the mechanic went through the motor while it was out of the truck. The timing chain kit would have cost me at least $600 more to install if I waited to replace it.

At least I am not having to pay for the entire bill. Its just a chance you take when buying used. The ironic thing is that it ran super strong when it went into the shop. Except for the faint bottom end noise, there were no indications that anything was wrong. If I would have let go much longer, I'd been TOTALLY on my own. I'd complain, but why...:) All I want now is to get it back. He's as tired of looking at it in his shop as I am not having it. I should get it back on Wednesday.

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I hope you get back on the road soon.