Purchasing a used 2017 EL - Rentals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sccritterkiller

Reaction score
Just make sure it wasn't one of the loaners the dealer gave me when mine was in service...I tend to drive those like I a stole them...Last one they gave me they had programmed the key they gave me not to go over 80mph...I think it was because it had less than 5k on the clock. lol...OP you will be fine just make sure you get a good mechanical inspection before you buy.

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Expedition was a rental that I chose to buy, a bit higher mileage than I would have liked for certain, but it has been admirable so far. I think as long as it has been well maintained and it all checks out, you shouldn't have too much pause.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife and I bought a Dealer demo. It was used by a son of the owner. It had only 6000 miles and had some small problems which they quickly took care of. We got over $12,000 off the list price. It's a 2017 Ford Expedition Limited. We love it! Ask the dealers for any demos that's available.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just spoke with a Ford dealer who has 5 program vehicles on the lot right now. They are all XLT's which is good but I would really prefer a limited. Don't get me wrong the XLT is nice but I really like the limited model. I will keep looking for a limited that has the color and options my wife is looking for.
When I talked to my dealer, I have gave them my choices, 2016 or 2015, Platinum EL, or King Ranch EL, Blue Jeans, Silver, Platinum Metallic White, And I wanted as many options as I could get. They looked for a couple of weeks, but finally couldn't meet my time frame. If I had been more patient they might have been able to find what I wanted. Eventually they made me a great deal on the 17 Limited EL that was new sitting on their lot.

Plati

Reaction score
Put in an order for an off lease EL with my buddy who's a car salesman. Told him ANY color but white. What does he come back with ... WHITE! I bought it because it had everything else and you cant have everything you want in life. Turns out white is a great color, especially in summer out west in the blaring sun - much cooler than black! I just dont like driving it in a snowstorm.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Put in an order for an off lease EL with my buddy who's a car salesman. Told him ANY color but white. What does he come back with ... WHITE! I bought it because it had everything else and you cant have everything you want in life. Turns out white is a great color, especially in summer out west in the blaring sun - much cooler than black! I just dont like driving it in a snowstorm.

About colors most common fleet color is white. Rentals can be any color.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't want white either, but the White Platinum Metallic had really grown on me and I really like it now.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been stalking this site doing research on my next SUV purchase. Lots of great information here.

To be honest I was looking for a Sequoia as I traded in my 07 with 146,000 trouble free miles but yikes the price on the new and recently used ones is crazy. They start $8,000 + more with similar mileage and setup. For me it really came down to bang for the buck. I was using Carmax and autotrader to search for vehicles and prices, I found most Ford dealers locally had much higher prices than Carmax's advertised ones. If I don't see a good price on their website I don't even bother contacting them. I hate the game they play. I even searched for leftover 2017's with incentives as the redesigned 18s are out. I was surprised at the dealer asking prices on them.

I found a local small independent dealer who had one as well as car max. I let them know they were competing for my business and the small dealer won.

I purchased a former rental 2017 Expedition EL XLT, it's entire history was in Tennessee. It was $35k (asking price before trade) with 26,000 miles on it! It's the basic rental model, no leather seats or upgraded towing package. It checks out mechanically and the interiror and body are in great shape plus I still have Ford's remaining warranty.

It's been quite awhile since I owned an American brand as I've had much trouble with them. I'm talking about you dodge & chevy. While the Japanese brands I've owned have been nearly flawless.

So far so good but want this rig to last another 125,000 miles with normal maintenance. I do want to brag about how great a vehicle Ford makes. I am concerned and may purchase the ford extended warranty as a good friend of mine is having drive line(IWE) issues in his 16 F-150 4x4 Platinum that the dealer is have trouble fixing after multiple attempts. It didn't show up until he passed 30,000 miles. I looked through the F150 forums to see many were having a similar issue. I didn't see it reported here. So hopefully it's not a problem with Expeditions.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased a former rental 2017 Expedition EL XLT, it's entire history was in Tennessee. It was $35k (asking price before trade) with 26,000 miles on it! It's the basic rental model, no leather seats or upgraded towing package. It checks out mechanically and the interiror and body are in great shape plus I still have Ford's remaining warranty.

It's been quite awhile since I owned an American brand as I've had much trouble with them. I'm talking about you dodge & chevy. While the Japanese brands I've owned have been nearly flawless.

So far so good but want this rig to last another 125,000 miles with normal maintenance. I do want to brag about how great a vehicle Ford makes. I am concerned and may purchase the ford extended warranty as a good friend of mine is having drive line(IWE) issues in his 16 F-150 4x4 Platinum that the dealer is have trouble fixing after multiple attempts. It didn't show up until he passed 30,000 miles. I looked through the F150 forums to see many were having a similar issue. I didn't see it reported here. So hopefully it's not a problem with Expeditions.
Welcome to the Forum cmiles97. Congratulations on your purchase.