Put new rear hatch door struts in but now get bounce back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The power liftgate goes down all but 8" from closing and then opens back up. If I push on it a little it will close after 3 or 4 tries. Aftermarket struts from Ebay.

Last edited:

aagitch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I assume it is power liftgate? I wonder if those new struts are a little too much pressure that last 8" or so and it thinks there's an obstruction of some sort.

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I assume it is power liftgate? I wonder if those new struts are a little too much pressure that last 8" or so and it thinks there's an obstruction of some sort.
Yes power. I will check with the seller but they never know anything.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since they are new, maybe the lift gate needs a re-learn procedure performed? (if one exists) Or perhaps the electric motor is weak / has a bad connection?

Sorry I can't be of much help here, as my SSV doesn't have any of that power-everything jazz... it's a human-powered gate, old school and just the way I like it. If I can't close the rear gate by myself, I've got bigger issues I'll need to take care of than worrying about my truck, lol!

Good luck!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The power liftgate goes down all but 8" from closing and then opens back up. If I push on it a little it will close after 3 or 4 tries. Aftermarket struts from Ebay.

I have a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 with the power lift gate.

I replaced the original hatch struts with OEM Motorcraft parts and they worked perfectly after installation. The original struts would allow the hatch to open, then it would begin to slowly sag in cold weather.

The OEM Motorcraft parts were not very expensive, and the left and right sides have different part numbers.

turtle019

Reaction score
Check the pinch strips. Any chance something on the new struts is hitting one of the pinch strips?