Question on True Synthetic oil (5.4L)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please tell me what you used! I’m having same rattles on start up...

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stuff was thick so I only put in half of the recommended amount. It took about 2 weeks of driving when the rattles started to subside and the more I drove the better it got. Used it in November. Keep in mind this may only help if the tensioner is on the verge of failing but not failed yet.
23E055A6-C281-44F9-8853-59271BAA4A10.jpeg

Last edited:

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The stuff was thick so I only put in half of the recommended amount. It took about 2 weeks of driving when the rattles started to subside and the more I drove the better it got. Used it in November. Keep in mind this may only help if the tensioner is on the verge of failing but not failed yet.
View attachment 34240

I’ve got 170k on mine. It’s worth a try! Thank you.

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papaboo

Reaction score
I'd like to add that I have a 2014 Expedition with 78000 miles and the only oil I have ever used in this engine is
Signature Series 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil, since I had 500 miles on the engine. It's a excellent oil that can go 25000 miles between oil changes, I usually change the oil once every 18000 miles or once a year. My engine uses no oil and the oil is still clean after being used for this mileage. The engine runs nice and smooth and quiet. I have been using this oil in all my vehicles including my boats and other cars with the same results. I feel that the superior results from this oil is worth the extra cost and satisfaction of having no problems with my engine. Like I said all I can say is my experience with this oil. Just ,my input.
Thanks

Just posted some pictures updated to projector headlights, new fog lights and connected DRL's and changed all lighting to leds. I did it correctly and had it done professionally.

Last edited:

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
https://www.aussiev8.com.au/motul-l...ifference-between-100-full-synthetic-oil.html

http://www.synlube.com/synthetic.html
"Both Exxon and Mobil in the past have produced chemically synthetic base oils.
In case of Exxon they were mostly synthetic hindered esters.
In case of Mobil they were C10 based Poly-alpha-olefins (PAO).

Today ExxonMobil produces SpectraSyn in Beaumont Texas USA (Refinery) and Gravenchon France. The product is C10 based PAO.

"Alkylated Naphthalene" under Synesstic Brand and Ester under Esterex Brand are made by associated company - ExxonMobil Chemical."

"I was there" when synthetic oils were first mass marketed for cars. It was my understanding then that Mobil 1 was entirely man-made.
It appears that even if that is still the case, good luck verifying it. There are as many opinions on this as there are web sites about it.
As always, marketing is king. Marketing is concerned with sales, not accuracy. It's only regard for truth is that a reputation for lying can kill a market effort faster than a war.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you good article Joe. That was my suspicion on the marketing terms. I think I’ll stick with the Mobil 1 here on out despite it not being the best. Seems like a *Decent* oil and a little step up from the MC Blend I’ve been using. From what I can see it looks like Motorcraft blend is just very well refined base oils with an additive pack.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The phrases “full synthetic” and “100% synthetic” are redundant. The phrases are marketing hype.

Similar to “brand new”, “now open”, “fully closed”, “now hiring”, etc. - instead of new, open, closed, or hiring.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd like to add that I have a 2014 Expedition with 78000 miles and the only oil I have ever used in this engine is
Signature Series 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil, since I had 500 miles on the engine. It's a excellent oil that can go 25000 miles between oil changes, I usually change the oil once every 18000 miles or once a year. My engine uses no oil and the oil is still clean after being used for this mileage. The engine runs nice and smooth and quiet. I have been using this oil in all my vehicles including my boats and other cars with the same results. I feel that the superior results from this oil is worth the extra cost and satisfaction of having no problems with my engine. Like I said all I can say is my experience with this oil. Just ,my input.
Thanks

Just posted some pictures updated to projector headlights, new fog lights and connected DRL's and changed all lighting to leds. I did it correctly and had it done professionally.
I doubt all that. All big oil names are pretty much the same and there is no silver bullet when it comes to oil. Changing oil at 25k miles is ridiculous. All oil gets dirty and contaminated with condensation. When they first came out with the synthetic oil (not really synthetic) they had claims of tons of miles before changing, then is was lowered again and again. I change my synthetic (which IS good oil) every 5k miles but it might be good for more. Don't listen to hype!

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
https://www.aussiev8.com.au/motul-l...ifference-between-100-full-synthetic-oil.html

http://www.synlube.com/synthetic.html
"Both Exxon and Mobil in the past have produced chemically synthetic base oils.
In case of Exxon they were mostly synthetic hindered esters.
In case of Mobil they were C10 based Poly-alpha-olefins (PAO).

Today ExxonMobil produces SpectraSyn in Beaumont Texas USA (Refinery) and Gravenchon France. The product is C10 based PAO.

"Alkylated Naphthalene" under Synesstic Brand and Ester under Esterex Brand are made by associated company - ExxonMobil Chemical."

"I was there" when synthetic oils were first mass marketed for cars. It was my understanding then that Mobil 1 was entirely man-made.
It appears that even if that is still the case, good luck verifying it. There are as many opinions on this as there are web sites about it.
As always, marketing is king. Marketing is concerned with sales, not accuracy. It's only regard for truth is that a reputation for lying can kill a market effort faster than a war.
Mobil One is not man made, all synthetics are highly refined "regular" oil with a lot of additives. There is no silver bullet when it comes to oil. All the big names are the same or close to it.

GaryB

Reaction score
I've used Mobil 1 on all my vehicles for as long as I can remember. But, everyone keeps telling me they're all the same. Just switched to Kirkland brand full sythetic 5-30 from costco. At $25 for 10 qts, it's the cheapest I've seen yet and has all the stamps of approval I can't understand...Time will tell.

Steve Hartman

Reaction score
For those of you with COSTCO cards, Mobile 1 goes on sale about once every three months. A case of six quarts costs $28.00. That's under $4.75 a quart plus sales tax for those of you who have to pay that. Seems like mighty cheap insurance to me.

I have a 2001 5.4 SSV that I bought at auction from the Feds in 2005, right after its warranty had expired. It had 135,000 miles on it. Today it has 262,000 miles on it and I have never even had a trouble light except for "service soon." I've had a start up ticky-ticky since I bought it, but no oil leaks and it continues to run like a top. I live in rural mountainous Montana where temp fluctuations during my ownership have gone from -38° to +104. It has been one hell of a vehicle! Of course, being so far from shopping and only going once or twice a month, I have had little stop-and-go on the engine, which may be the reason it has lasted so long.

I loved this Expy so much I bought another one - a 2007 SSV also from the Feds. So now I have 2! LOL! Bought it in 2015 with 148,000 miles for $4400. This one, however, came from the Seattle area rather than the Montana area. Now with almost 180,000 miles on it I got an error code for O2 sensor so I replaced all four of them. The code came back again - Bank one, Sensor 1, I think. So I am suspecting a bad catalytic converter. But bought an extended warranty for it so feel lucky there as well.

Boy! Have I strayed off topic! I guess the point is, I run Mobile 1 exclusively and have had no major problems with either vehicle and love 'em to pieces!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire