Question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonka

Reaction score
I have a 13' Expy recently when I press up on the driver's side window button it will hit the top and roll back down very weird? Also my factory radio resets quite often for example the base, fade, treble all reset the channels stay though any suggestions? But I have noticed my steering wheel controls don't work all that great either I wondered if there was a problem there. I already have a new battery put it in last year but this problem with the radio was happening before that.

11henrs

Reaction score
Sounds like the window is sensing restriction going up like seals are tight. Help the window up and it should go all the way up just fine. It’s a safety function so kids can’t roll the window up on themselves or animal and such. Not sure on the radio but sounds like a grounding issue maybe. Do the presets default or stay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem with the base CD/Satellite radio. I swiped to the NAV head unit and I don't have that issue anymore. Might have been a run of bad single CD headunits.

OP
OP
Tonka

Tonka

Reaction score
I wonder, that would be cool, I'm tired of this head unit anyway, that might be my next option thanks

Daviddnv

Reaction score
I had the window issue in my 2011. It also started to go up slower and slower. It took about a year, but eventually it stopped going up all together and needed a new window motor. They may have changed something else out too when for the going down at the top issue, I'm not sure.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The window symptom sounds unusual. You say it goes all the way up, then reverses and drops down a bit? This might be due to extra resistance in the window track as some have noted. But, it could be that you need to perform a "window motor initialization" procedure.

First, get some dry spray silicone lube and spray in the window tracks to make sure the window glass can operate smoothly. Here's a good product:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PJED72

Next, perform the initialization procedure. This helps the window motor "learn" the full up and full down positions and also the profile of the glass as it travels in the run channel. This is only for the driver's side front window.

NOTE1: According to the Factory Service Manual (FSM), the initialization procedure needs to be performed when a window motor or regulator is replaced, glass is replaced, any time work is done on the window mechanism, and even when the glass run channel is lubricated.

NOTE2: "Bounce-back" (which is what you are describing is happening to your window) may indicate a "de-initialization" procedure needs to be performed.

DE-INITIALIZATION
Be sure to perform Step 2 and Step 3 WITHIN 8 SECONDS.

1. Turn ignition to RUN and open the left front door.
  2. Turn ignition OFF and then back to RUN 5 times.
  3. Press left front window switch to the "Auto down" position (second detent) and release.

RE-INITIALIZATION
Keep hands and arms and anything else out of the way of the window glass while doing this.

1. Turn ignition OFF and open the left front door.
  2. Turn ignition ON.
  3. Press left front window switch to the "Auto DOWN" position (second detent) and HOLD until the window reaches the full down position and stalls there for 2 seconds, then release the switch.
  4. WAIT AT LEAST 3 SECONDS BEFORE CONTINUING.
  5. Press left front window switch to the "Auto UP" position (second detent) and HOLD until the window reaches the full UP position and stalls there for 2 seconds, then release the switch.
  6. Test the "Auto down" feature and make sure it works properly.
  7. Test the "Auto up" feature and make sure it works properly.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The window symptom sounds unusual. You say it goes all the way up, then reverses and drops down a bit? This might be due to extra resistance in the window track as some have noted. But, it could be that you need to perform a "window motor initialization" procedure.

First, get some dry spray silicone lube and spray in the window tracks to make sure the window glass can operate smoothly. Here's a good product:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PJED72

Next, perform the initialization procedure. This helps the window motor "learn" the full up and full down positions and also the profile of the glass as it travels in the run channel. This is only for the driver's side front window.

NOTE1: According to the Factory Service Manual (FSM), the initialization procedure needs to be performed when a window motor or regulator is replaced, glass is replaced, any time work is done on the window mechanism, and even when the glass run channel is lubricated.

NOTE2: "Bounce-back" (which is what you are describing is happening to your window) may indicate a "de-initialization" procedure needs to be performed.

DE-INITIALIZATION
Be sure to perform Step 2 and Step 3 WITHIN 8 SECONDS.

1. Turn ignition to RUN and open the left front door.
  2. Turn ignition OFF and then back to RUN 5 times.
  3. Press left front window switch to the "Auto down" position (second detent) and release.

RE-INITIALIZATION
Keep hands and arms and anything else out of the way of the window glass while doing this.

1. Turn ignition OFF and open the left front door.
  2. Turn ignition ON.
  3. Press left front window switch to the "Auto DOWN" position (second detent) and HOLD until the window reaches the full down position and stalls there for 2 seconds, then release the switch.
  4. WAIT AT LEAST 3 SECONDS BEFORE CONTINUING.
  5. Press left front window switch to the "Auto UP" position (second detent) and HOLD until the window reaches the full UP position and stalls there for 2 seconds, then release the switch.
  6. Test the "Auto down" feature and make sure it works properly.
  7. Test the "Auto up" feature and make sure it works properly.
It was sprayed with silicone and slid smoothly but I had put a new regulator in it a week before, all good now and rear hatch good now too (had bounce back after new struts.)

towing_champ

Reaction score
Also my factory radio resets quite often for example the base, fade, treble all reset the channels stay though any suggestions? But I have noticed my steering wheel controls don't work all that great either I wondered if there was a problem there. I already have a new battery put it in last year but this problem with the radio was happening before that.

Do you have the navigation head unit? if so, does your bluetooth connection work? Can you pair a new phone to it? Dont mess with the old settings if you have something paired, cause you may lose that if you can't get a paring again.

I have a 2013, bought at a dealership with a bad sync module for my navigation headunit. I never use the radio, so can't say anything about that, but at the dealership, we tried to get a paring for about an hour, got the code to come up one time. When we took delivery, it wouldn't pair again and the old data was gone.

I ended up replacing the sync module with the same part out of a navigator, so now any time I send text messages it adds in sent from (someone's) navigator, but now the bluetooth works again. I don't know what functions sync handles, only that my sirius, nav, radio would work, sync mostly delt with the phone stuff, though I think the steering radio controls routed through the sync module, and I also think that the voice controls are routed to the sync module.

The part cost me about 80 bucks used on ebay if I remember right. It is located under the front center console, getting it all apart was a pita, and I ended up breaking a few plastic clips on the chrome shifter trip, but it wasn't too bit of a deal since it sits parallel to the ground and doesn't need to be held on all sides.

If you have the old nav unit that is a double din single piece, I would say to at least fo some research on what functions the sync module control.