Rack &a pinion problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

matt06expy

Reaction score
Yeah, so far so good on the squeezing for now but we'll see if it returns. My expedition also pulls to the right and I did align it after the rack instal but I read online that depending on what fluid you use in the power steering, it can make the vehicle pull? Is there a certain brand or anything to use in the expedition? I was also told that using Lucas oil power steering fluid and topped off with Honda fluid will help it or pull/with the rough spots into the wheel that it has too? Any thoughts?

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually having the wheels professionally aligned will solve your problem. Reputable shops wont proceed with the job if they detect any worn part that needs replacing.

Reaction score
Can you tell us specifics about the Replacement Rack you purchased from Oreilly? New or New Rebuilt and brand pls.

OP
OP
M

matt06expy

Reaction score
The rack & pinion is a remanufactured one from oreilly and I used Prestone power steering fluid in it. I also bought an oem one from pick n pull just in case this one goes bad soon or I decide to take that one apart and rebuild it with the inner shaft, tie rods etc.

scorpytunes

Reaction score
Those little knocks you hear going over bumps may be a rotting radiator support.
As far as the rack is concerned, I find there is too much play in them. Also check
the steering shaft components.

OP
OP
M

matt06expy

Reaction score
I will check the radiator supports later tonight as well as a few other things in the front end just to make sure they're not bad either!

03 exp

Reaction score
Disconnect your sway bar endlinks and see if the noise goes away!